CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

11th March 2024, 15:11
I'm a tad bemused by this one. I have a complete grid, the period and the instruction. I've got a pair of coordinates that appear to locate a quite specific place but I can't find anything very interesting about it or anthing about the country it's in that fits the brief. The Wikipedia entry on the location is very slim. I've twiddled the coordinates in case I'd chosen the wrong instance of a letter that appears twice in a solution, stared at the grid for something rectangular, shaped like the item in the instructions and haven't found anything.

Hey ho, more grid staring I suppose.
31 of 59  -   Report This Post

crates

11th March 2024, 16:12
granama 1 - trying not to give too much away - If you have correct location and period - google ... location + period + Crossword title ... all should become clear ...
32 of 59  -   Report This Post

granama1

11th March 2024, 17:47
Thanks Crates, I'll give it a go, I hadn't thought about using the puzzle title. đź‘Ť
33 of 59  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

11th March 2024, 18:02
Aahh, that makes sense now, thanks Will. Was thinking of arm-*, which seemed a slightly odd place for the object in question.
34 of 59  -   Report This Post

granama1

11th March 2024, 18:05
Hurrah! I'd made a bit of a pig's ear of the coordinates.

Thanks again Crates. 🙂
35 of 59  -   Report This Post

foinaven

11th March 2024, 19:25
I am puzzled by the latitude and longitude. How can you define these without an equator and a great circle? Actually, what do they represent on a plane? Some sort of projection? And what is the scale for decimals such as 2.4?
36 of 59  -   Report This Post

foinaven

11th March 2024, 19:38
I've now found the subject's name and description, having wasted some time pursuing another likely individual (the subject of a film) who is not found in the grid. This gives me a rectangular block. Maybe I can finish this without even bothering with these pesky decimals.
37 of 59  -   Report This Post

candledave

11th March 2024, 19:43
foinaven - the degrees latitude and longitude are simply written in decimal form
38 of 59  -   Report This Post

crates

11th March 2024, 19:59
đź‘Ť
39 of 59  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

11th March 2024, 20:20
The co-ordinates are in a form used by GPS systems. Many years ago in my climbing days, I was introduced to a GPS device (rather like an original mobile phone - a massive brick of a thing) and told that it was, homophonically, a “hearing aid”: ie it told you where “here” was. And, possibly, knowing where “here” was on an exposed spur in the northwest Highlands in ten tenths cloud all those years ago may just explain why I am here today to tell the tale.
40 of 59  -   Report This Post