CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

4th February 2024, 16:17
i read it too, some years ago. i don't remember it well, but i think it was an attempt to explain quantum uncertainty.
61 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th February 2024, 16:19
Okay, thanks Chris.
62 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th February 2024, 16:26
Brendan, it's OK but nothing special.
It's become kind of popular to examine modern physics (quantum, etc.) in the context of various spiritual traditions, esp. non-dual ones like (some types of) Buddhism, Vedanta, etc.
It was one of the earliest such books, maybe the first, dating to 1979 (I thought it was earlier, had to look it up).

There have been better "popular physics" books since then, so I can only recommend it if you're into the spiritual angle. And there may well be better books with that orientation, though I can't really say.
63 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th February 2024, 16:34
Thanks Geeker,

Spiritualism is not something I really want in my quantum physics books:-)
64 of 76  -   Report This Post

a1philosopher

4th February 2024, 18:52
So 23d is a clever clue, but I'm uncomfortable with the use of Henry Kissinger because to mention him in this way is to normalise him. Notwithstanding the effusive and laudatory obituaries such as that in the Guardian, there is a strong body of opinion that Kissinger was a monster: a war criminal responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent civilians, not to mention the lasting damage he caused in Chile. There must be other people (for example, any New Yorker) who pronounce TT as DD.
65 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th February 2024, 19:15
Alan Sherman perhaps?
"Hello mudder, hello fadder"?
66 of 76  -   Report This Post

micky

4th February 2024, 21:28
I didn't even look at this puzzle until today, so by the time I got stuck and turned to this forum something close to everything there is to be said had been said... and yet nobody has mentioned the one clue that I can't solve. I must, therefore, be missing something that's obvious to everyone else. 🤔 It's 24d. I have what I think must be the solution, as it fits "presently", in the sense of "soon", but I have no idea what it has to do with conspiracy theories. Any hints, anyone?
67 of 76  -   Report This Post

jono

4th February 2024, 21:49
Micky, I’m sure you have the correct answer. The reference is quite contemporary and not in the dictionaries, but if you add a single letter to the front of your word (indicated in the clue by “question”) you will descend into the murky world of US-led conspiracy theory…
68 of 76  -   Report This Post

micky

4th February 2024, 21:59
Thanks, Jono. I'm evidently out of touch with the modern world, though frankly if that's the kind of thing I'm missing then I'm not sure I don't prefer to be out of touch.
69 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th February 2024, 08:34
If you've missed out on it Micky, consider yourself lucky!

Whether it's the Satan worshipping and cannibal paedophiles operating from a Washington pizzeria, Sidney "release the kraken" Powell, Mike the pillow guy or Rudy Giuliani announcing his mega press conference at the Four Seasons....Total Landscaping (I kid you not!) - this is one rabbit hole you do not want to go down:-)
70 of 76  -   Report This Post