CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drjax

3rd February 2024, 11:41
An enjoyable start to the day. My FOI was 1d and last 5a (for which I kicked myself as I we stayed in a Cornish holiday cottage last year where the owner was particularly proud of their traditional XXXXXXX roof!).

I have no problem with ‘at’ meaning ‘near’ in 10a although other options such as ‘in front of’ would have been more appropriate and still worked with the surface.

Let’s hope my football team can make the day continue as well.
31 of 76  -   Report This Post

neko99

3rd February 2024, 12:00
If I'm not mistaken, 17d is an element on the periodic table with its own symbol. It has a compound form becoming an oxide. Just double checked and t'internet would seem to agree with me.
32 of 76  -   Report This Post

rainman

3rd February 2024, 12:12
Neko99, the element would end in 'um'. Ending in 'a' makes it an oxide. A number of elements in this part of the Periodic Table form oxides with the formula 'A2O3', using same naming convention where A is the element.
33 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd February 2024, 12:51
yes rainman. The most familiar example is the oxide of aluminium, known as alumina. (Al2O3)

I did my subscripts in Word, but they don't seem to have survived being transferred!)
34 of 76  -   Report This Post

rocky7

3rd February 2024, 13:15
About half way through and I've already learned some new words and definitions. Hob being one of them.

Despite a few mentions on here I'm not getting 3d at all. What am I missing about American banknotes that gives that second word?
35 of 76  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd February 2024, 13:22
Rocky, it’s definition 5 in Chambers (annotated as North American slang)
36 of 76  -   Report This Post

rocky7

3rd February 2024, 13:34
OK thanks Jono. I had it right open at that page but didn't see it.

All done. 1a another new word for me. It tested my GK this one but I don't really have too much of a problem with that. Standout COD for me 23d.

Thanks Brummie. Enjoyable.
37 of 76  -   Report This Post

justsolve

3rd February 2024, 13:51
Thanks Rogissimo. I had never heard of the coin before. One for the numismatists!
38 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd February 2024, 13:55
The coin used to be a staple in USA non-cryptic puzzles (I switched to cryptics so don't know current trends). One of those infrequent bones thrown to non-UK solvers! :-)
39 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd February 2024, 13:57
Also the venerable "ANNA"
40 of 76  -   Report This Post