CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

3rd February 2024, 14:03
A different sort of venerable Anna appears in Luke 2:36-38 - very appropriately for this time of year (specifically, yesterday)!
41 of 76  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd February 2024, 17:55
Jono

What Chambers do you use? I can't find five definitions of the second word I think is the answer to 3 down, but I use a hard back copy (revised 13th edition). Does this mean I have guessed at the wrong answer? I was assuming that US currency is often referred to as "greenbacks", but perhaps I have strayed too far. My answer fits the definition.

I started as usual after lunch and have a couple of breaks to do some work in the garden and get the washing in, but I'm quite stuck. By the way, my first word in was 5a. I thought google covered the definition. I must check my periodic table book for the oxide used in 17d as I couldn't find the element.

Can I have a hint for 18ac, it may open up that part of the crossword for me. 15d has also defeated me. I assume the definition is swiftish?

42 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd February 2024, 18:01
hi roof
18 is an anagram with two indicated letters at the end - def hostile
15d also a compound anagram, though not a word i knew; makes sense, though. def swiftish, though not in the speed sense
43 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd February 2024, 18:06
Roof, the term for US currency is not really in current use (bad pun) iirc. Maybe in old gangster movies or something. Your answer is probably correct if it's a "cruciferous" item.
44 of 76  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd February 2024, 18:18
Roof, I was referring to the Chambers App. But in your Revised 13th Edition the meaning is given in the last few words of the first paragraph of the first definition.
Quite why they have to make it this confusing I don’t know!
45 of 76  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd February 2024, 18:23
…page 213 before the bit about butterflies!
46 of 76  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd February 2024, 19:06
Thanks Jono and everyone else

By the time I came back to the Forum I had finished - much to my amazement! I was going to ask for the parsing for 18ac, but I see Chris told me and 15d was a new word to me as was to a couple of others. There are a couple of others I couldn't parse - 1d, 16d and 20d. But my friend will sort me out tomorrow.

Jono, I checked my Chambers and there it was. I should have read it properly the first time. I had to look up cruciferous - and me a gardener, but I don't grow veg.

FOI was 5ac, LOI was 1d and COD was 25ac, though I must give a nod to 4d,10ac,11ac, and 19d. (It was my husband who remembered the famous phrase from the 1939 Radio show.)
47 of 76  -   Report This Post

derbs52

4th February 2024, 09:57
Firstly thanks to all for the help so far but I've just returned to this puzzle this morning and still have four to go in the top NW. A gentle hint for both 1a and 1d might help me finish. Thanks again
48 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th February 2024, 10:07
Hi Derbs,

1a - 4 letter "bad light" good around "one unknown" which is 1,1 then at the end of the A from the clue - definition is "set of steps" (a Polish dance)
49 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th February 2024, 10:09
Sorry for that garbled post, that's something going on with my phone today where the screen keeps vanishing and other gremlins...

goes around

then at the end there is the A from the clue
50 of 76  -   Report This Post