CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

3rd February 2024, 01:08
Well, I found that hard (took me almost an hour) but very satisfying, with a couple of new or rediscovered words, some really tricky parsing, and a lot of wit. Can’t now remember my way in. LOI was 11ac, but I don’t know why it took me so long. COD probably 19db, but there are too many competitors.
1 of 76  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

3rd February 2024, 01:20
FOI was 9ac, I think, but only because I’d entered the obvious first word of 3dn. Second word of 3dn was also obvious from the definition, but I didn’t know the cryptic element, so didn’t enter it until later.
2 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd February 2024, 01:29
Thanks to Brummie. I found this tougher than the usual Prize, some very nice clues but also a bit of a grind due to unfamiliar solution words.
FOI 2, LOI 19 for which I have only a guess and am somewhat stumped.
Co-COD 8, 1a and 21. Also liked 25, 2 and 20.

Head fake on pangram, which looked promising but didn't pan out.
3 of 76  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

3rd February 2024, 01:41
geeker - 19db is a peculiarly British stereotypical appellation. It parses as locks (3) surrounding army officer (abbrev) (3)
4 of 76  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

3rd February 2024, 01:42
(Second time I’ve attempted dn and written db 🙄)
5 of 76  -   Report This Post

rainman

3rd February 2024, 02:18
I didn't think I would finish this at first, but I kept guessing, and then parsing, enough answers to keep going. Fortunately, there weren't too many obscure words. I thought Brummie usually had a theme, but it's lost on me if there is one here.

My one quibble is that 17d is a compound, not an element. That put me off for a while.
6 of 76  -   Report This Post

darla

3rd February 2024, 04:46
Agreed about 17d, rainman. Otherwise not too difficult. Many clues that on first glance were hard to see yielded to some thought or help from crossers. I didn’t really have a standout clue.
7 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd February 2024, 08:22
i've just got to 17d and am considering throwing the puzzle away in disgust! there's no need to use "element".
8 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd February 2024, 08:27
google finds valid alternative answers to 21a too!
9 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd February 2024, 08:31
never heard of the second part of 3d. wiki gives it as "outdated or rarely used"
10 of 76  -   Report This Post