CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

adnarim

2nd December 2023, 13:07
I really wasn’t on Paul’s wavelength this morning and only got 3 clues before coming here, but the hints here were just what I needed to get me on a roll and it’s all done now. Thanks all - I really appreciate this forum
31 of 66  -   Report This Post

david w

2nd December 2023, 13:27
Finished, with my grateful thanks for those hints on here that were not more obscure than the clues. I used to enjoy Paul but these days he gives me too much "guess from the crossers" and not enough "solve the clue".
32 of 66  -   Report This Post

barryc

2nd December 2023, 13:38
Thanks, Rob & JS. Got it.
Slowly getting there
33 of 66  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

2nd December 2023, 13:43
david w - I think all of us who provide hints are trying to be helpful rather than obscure. As I mentioned above I often find it hard to gauge the heaviness of a hint: I’m generally afraid that if I go heavy, on the first request at least, I could be spoiling the fun of the challenge. But maybe sometimes the person asking has decided that there’s not much fun to be had anyway!
34 of 66  -   Report This Post

david w

2nd December 2023, 14:21
Thank you rogissimo. My thoughts entirely!
35 of 66  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd December 2023, 14:38
No one COD, but I enjoyed 2, 5, 7, 13 and 18.
The always entertaining Nina-meister Serpent in the Indy today!
36 of 66  -   Report This Post

roof

2nd December 2023, 17:34
Hello everyone

Well I usually like Paul, but I'm struggling with this one. I only got two on the first read-through. But I've got a few more now; some thanks to the thread here.

I think I will need some hints if I'm to make more progress, or I could give up and marzipan my Christmas cakes, which I made yesterday. Could I have a hint for 1ac/9/23 I have quite a few crossers, but have been unable to make any sense out of the clue. 14d might give me an opening to the lower half of the crossword, so a hint there may help.
37 of 66  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd December 2023, 17:39
Hi roof
I don't think 14d entirely makes sense, but the definition is "it's said".
1a etc. is a charade: "Borrow" (5) "5p" (3) "settle up" (5), "poor" (4). I can't have an opinion on "children's entertainer" as I've never seen him!
38 of 66  -   Report This Post

roof

2nd December 2023, 17:44
Hi Chris

I just got 1ac etc by putting the letters I got into one Across. I've never heard of him, but hopefully I'll get a few more now.

I'll have a go at 14d
39 of 66  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd December 2023, 17:52
14d first two letters = no longer
last 7 letters = squeezed
whole word = squeezed (milk from human or mammal)
def. said
40 of 66  -   Report This Post