CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

2nd December 2023, 11:06
Hi Jazzgirl, this “plot” is six foot under…
21 of 66  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd December 2023, 11:12
Thanks Jono. I misread 'Plot' as 'pilot' ... will see the opthalmologist soon
22 of 66  -   Report This Post

barryc

2nd December 2023, 11:40
Morning all. Well, though I’m enjoying this, I’ve only done ~half.
A hint for 10A would be helpful.
Thanks
23 of 66  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

2nd December 2023, 11:46
BarryC - the clue for 10ac itself is ‘drunken’
24 of 66  -   Report This Post

barryc

2nd December 2023, 11:55
Thanks, Rogissimo, but I’m not seeing it
25 of 66  -   Report This Post

justsolve

2nd December 2023, 11:58
I am a big fan of Paul and it always brightens my Saturday morning to see him as the Prize compiler, but on this occasion I was slightly non-plussed by the rather clumsy wordplay that provides the definition in 1d and by 10a which I worked out from the parsing but have never heard used in any context, although I do recall something similar cropping up in an old Goons song which nudged me in the right direction. Otherwise pretty straightforward for a Paul Prize without his usual cross-referencing which I know puts a few people off his puzzles. Plenty of candidates for COD but I will go for 1a as I spent an age staring at it until my PDM, then the wordplay made complete sense. Thanks to Paul for a slow but satisfying solve despite my couple of minor whinges!
26 of 66  -   Report This Post

justsolve

2nd December 2023, 12:04
BarryC, think of a rather old-fashioned word meaning "a little bit squiffy," an Eastern mantra, then a repeated word for Englishman used Down Under, and a phrase should appear to you (one that I had never heard before but the existence of which Google confirms). It parses 6,2,3,3 exactly as the words themselves are laid out.
27 of 66  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd December 2023, 12:20
The clue and solution are references to a line from the song “I Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside”…
28 of 66  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

2nd December 2023, 12:29
Sorry barryc: I’m never quite sure where to pitch my hints. I hope justsolve’s more comprehensive explanation is more help!
29 of 66  -   Report This Post

birder

2nd December 2023, 13:06
Hi Jono

The last four words are the definition of the answer
30 of 66  -   Report This Post