CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

2nd December 2023, 00:45
Either I was just on Paul’s wavelength tonight (after a couple of beers and a curry), or this was a pretty straightforward offering, but no less enjoyable and witty for that. A couple of words that I knew but had forgotten, but which came back with the help of the wordplay. Thanks to Paul (others may disagree…)
1 of 66  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd December 2023, 01:10
Thanks to Paul, quite a bit gentler than his recent 29,239 which baffled me.
Got off to a very slow start and felt I was struggling, but wound up finishing in about average time.
FOI 21. LOI 15, which took a long time to untangle though general outline and first word were clear.
Some moderately exotic words and GK, but was able to get the solutions by parsing.
Lots of excellent clues, I may return with a COD ranking.
2 of 66  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

2nd December 2023, 01:25
geeker - I was surprised to see a Prize Paul, given that he had already appeared on Tuesday. I agree that this was much gentler than that offering, which would have been a worthy Prize crossword. A bit like the feeling in sometimes have that the Monday cryptic and quiptic are the wrong way round!
3 of 66  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

2nd December 2023, 01:27
‘..the feeling *I* sometimes have…’ - a shame we can’t edit our mistakes here!
4 of 66  -   Report This Post

lucertola

2nd December 2023, 07:23
I admire you guys' skills but my heart always sinks when I see Paul on a Prize.😒
5 of 66  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd December 2023, 08:54
Good fun I thought. The longer answers held me up for quite a time. CODs 5d and 14d.
6 of 66  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd December 2023, 09:00
i'm struggling with 3 to finish. 8a i have an obvious answer from the definition, but can't parse it, and it's preventing me from seeing the long one starting at 4d.
also i can see a paper that fits 11, but can't parse it.
any hints please?
7 of 66  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd December 2023, 09:08
Hi Chris, 8a is an anagram. 4 is also part anagram inside a financial institution. 11 ‘better’ as a verb gives the last three letters…
8 of 66  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd December 2023, 09:11
…I made the mistake of thinking the first word of 4 had to be the financial institution, it’s not!
9 of 66  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd December 2023, 09:16
thanks jono - finished now

is there any wordplay in 22a, or is it just a cryptic definition?
10 of 66  -   Report This Post