CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

5th August 2023, 15:45
Matter of being logged in or out. Logged in shows most recent first. Logged out the reverse.
31 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th August 2023, 15:48
you can choose which order you want - go to "edit" next to your id at the top
32 of 55  -   Report This Post

jono

5th August 2023, 15:51
Click “edit” next to where it says “Welcome Glaucus!” then scroll down to the very bottom of that page where you have an option to change the order
33 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 15:55
@Sealionsteve - nice one 😀
34 of 55  -   Report This Post

roof

5th August 2023, 16:25
Well unlike most of you, I'm finding this really tough, and I like Paul. I've done a few mainly in top right hand corner (NE), but am struggling elsewhere. I'll have another go and then be back for some hints. I only got 5d from the definition and like Chris don't like the word for skill. My FOI was 6d. I've got the washing in before it blew away, but hoping my brain hasn't gone as well.
35 of 55  -   Report This Post

dhope

5th August 2023, 17:53
I’m with you Roof, although you probably have more than I have —a few in bottom half!
Paul is not one of my favourite compilers but I can usually get there eventually but finding this very tough, and the miserable weather isn’t helping .
No cricket to use as a welcome escape either.
36 of 55  -   Report This Post

roof

5th August 2023, 18:48
Well much to my surprise, I've nearly finished. There is one I haven't got. 13d, despite all the hints about the first word. I'm assuming the definition is "glasses cleaner". I have all the crossers, but cannot parse the only possible answer I have and cannot see either the "matter" or the "forty days" referred to in thread above.

I also cannot parse 8d. Once again I have all the crossers and the definition, but I cannot parse it. Or can I? Perhaps "story" is a 6 letter word round a two letter word meaning "old flame". I was looking for something more complicated.

As I said before, my FOI was 6d (I don't think of it as west country). My LOI will be 13d after getting 3d. My CODs 1d, 23d. I was really annoyed by 21ac and I only got 9ac by beginning to understand the cross referenced clues. I'd got 15,6 and 5.

Time to read my book. I'm not interested in cricket or football or any sport.
37 of 55  -   Report This Post

micky

5th August 2023, 19:04
Hi, Roof. For 13d, you are right in thinking the definition is "glasses cleaner". Matter, in the sense of the matter in hand, or the matter which concerns us, underneath a 4 letter period of 40 days with 1 letter "bottom of cups" inside it. And, of course, it's a down clue.

8d is exactly as you suggested: "story" is a 6 letter word round a two letter word meaning "old flame". I don't like "sell" in the definition myself.
38 of 55  -   Report This Post

barryc

5th August 2023, 19:08
Hi all. Well, despite the many comments here I’m pretty stuck and can’t see the theme that Roof and others mention.
With 5D I can see an answer which fits the crossers and means check as in check it’s working, but ?Flower?

And I don’t understand 26, 25 despite having some of the clues referred to. (Is the answer something we all have?)

Thanks
39 of 55  -   Report This Post

darla

5th August 2023, 19:14
Hi, Barry. The “flower” is a river. I had to consult a map to confirm my guess.
40 of 55  -   Report This Post