CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

5th August 2023, 08:21
Agree with the comments so far. The devices are very neat but the rest not too much of a challenge. Enjoyed the long anagram, if only it were true! And amused to see two forum members getting a mention ;-)
11 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th August 2023, 09:24
well i've completed the grid, but several i don't understand, and i haven't seen the cross references yey

i'm surprised that paul of all people can't spell the "bottom" in 22a!
12 of 55  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th August 2023, 09:26
ah - just seen how 18 works - and now 26
13 of 55  -   Report This Post

birder

5th August 2023, 10:23
I managed to complete this crossword 22a is the COD. For those struggling with it, think of something that’s largely associated with the West Country. Can’t say anymore than that without giving it away.

FOI 28,16 LOI 13
14 of 55  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

5th August 2023, 11:03
ChrisE
Re 22a - I think Paul might pray in aid Shakespeare to avoid the accusation of Americanism!
15 of 55  -   Report This Post

drjax

5th August 2023, 11:07
This is the first one I’ve managed to finish over breakfast for a while. The last few weeks have needed dipping into throughout the day too. I really liked the cleverness of the multi-clue answers and agree that 22 is very satisfying (it was one of my first in as I’m a fan of the artist and backing group).
16 of 55  -   Report This Post

feebee

5th August 2023, 11:29
Have finished the bottom half which I’m pleased with as I usually struggle with Paul. Got to get on with some major DIY now so won’t get another look til tomorrow.

Just had to pop into the forum to say my COD is already 22. 😊 I worked out the word play pattern and had tried to shoehorn in several other groups before the answer fell into place. Very enjoyable!
17 of 55  -   Report This Post

micky

5th August 2023, 14:20
Like others I found this easier than average, but it was challenging enough to be enjoyable. I've filled in all the answers, but there are three clues which I don't fully understand; 5a, 5d, & 9a. Any gentle hints would be welcome.
18 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 14:33
Hi Micky,

5a - 5 letter "put under" (as in 'bury') goes around/'wraps' 2 letter "say" - definition is "cardinal"

5d - 7 letter "skill" minus first letter/'lacking at first' then 4 letter "particular" (as in 'fussy') minus single letter "one" - definition is "fundamentally"

9a - 7 letter word for "dropping" minus outside letters leaving just the "guts" - definition is "ready to drop" but it's not in all dictionaries.
19 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 14:39
9a - just to clarify, the answer is in all dictionaries though not always with that definition.
20 of 55  -   Report This Post