CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

5th August 2023, 00:55
Thanks to Paul for an, at times, challenging but fun Prize.

I got off to a slow start with my FOI being 14a. After that I did make headway but then got tied up in knots trying to parse the last few. These being ...

9a - I have the answer but can't really see a definition, at least one that tallies with Chambers.

22a - I got from the definition and crossing letters but have no idea as to the wordplay.

5d - Again, I got this from the definition but can't parse it.

4d - I was wondering why "hill" in particular?

The multi-numbered clues used a device I haven't seen before, or if I have I can't remember, but once I saw what was going on I was able to slot them in quite nicely.

COD - A clear winner this week with the outstanding 5a - "Put under wraps say for cardinal" (7)

Let us know in the comments how you got on and, as always, if you do get stuck just post your query on here - we're a friendly bunch and always willing to help.

Stay safe:-)

1 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 00:57
5d - Just figured out the wordplay:-)
2 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 01:00
13d - This is another one I initially had trouble parsing which wasn't helped by the first word also meaning "matter" - a coincidence I'm sure but it really threw me.
3 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 01:02
22a - Wow! Brilliant and a joint COD đź‘Ť
4 of 55  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th August 2023, 01:02
Brendan,

I thought about 75-80% of the puzzle was extremely easy, but the rest was challenging and it wound up at or slightly above median Prize solving time.

Plenty of good clues, though. Thanks to Paul.

FOI 1a, LOI 22 which extended solving time by 30% and wound up COD.

Also liked the multi-numbered clues, device I don't recall seeing to such an extend. As well as 1d, 9, 23, 17, 2, 5a and 20.

You'll like the parsing of 22...for the backing group think back to Bartland's music-themed Prize! (iirc)
5 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 01:03
... and just seen the wordplay for 9a.
6 of 55  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th August 2023, 01:06
If not for 22 (especially), 13, 17 and 6 the puzzle would have been completed much faster! Blind spots on 13 and 17, but 6 involved new GK.
7 of 55  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th August 2023, 01:07
Hi Geeker,

Yeah, 22a is fantastic and one Brockwell (is that who you meant) would have been very proud of, I'm sure.
8 of 55  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th August 2023, 01:09
Darn, it was Brockwell, thanks for the correction! Got the wrong new "B" setter.
9 of 55  -   Report This Post

davel

5th August 2023, 07:48
Solved this in near cord time for a Paul puzzle. Agree with geeker that it is mostly straightforward, but with a handful of tough clues. 13 and 22 in particular. 6 is new GK to me as well, only got it because of its inclusion in a multi-numbered clue. I thought those were great.
Bit of a shame to finish so early though cos it’s lousy weather here and now I’m not sure what to do. Normally with Paul’s puzzles it takes me at least three hours.
Too many to choose for a COD. Thanks Paul.
10 of 55  -   Report This Post