CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

2nd July 2023, 17:24
Thanks drxx fir help at #32.
I am still struggling to finish, have still to get asolution to 'Cardinal in Anjou'; and I don't have the fourth word from the message, as have a couple of extra letters missing - from the 'Stone' one with definition 'shape', and the 'Wills dependent' one as cannot parse either.
I see the theme and have paired the others.
41 of 62  -   Report This Post

rickye

2nd July 2023, 17:43
I’m in the same position.
42 of 62  -   Report This Post

lumen

2nd July 2023, 17:47
I think I'm there now. I had the wrong extra letter for Her cyclamen clue. Used anterior in the wrong way.
Shakespeare word for someone dependent, blank goes 5th.
Don't fully understand Anjou one but got my fourth word so all paired up now.
43 of 62  -   Report This Post

andyp

2nd July 2023, 17:49
lumen

cardinal in anjou - defn last two words. anjou indicator of french. cardinal is not the religious one.

wills dependent - the "worker in mine" was a new defn on me - the word is one more commonly associated with lorry firms (7 letters). Remove "gold" (one of the two letter terms for gold), and the first letter is the extra.

stone preserves: stone is 2 letters, record is two letters, Q you need a three letter spelling of the letter. Extra is last letter of the three letter word.
44 of 62  -   Report This Post

lumen

3rd July 2023, 08:15
Thanks Andyp. All done and onto IQ now.
Still don't see the cardinal, I can see French for East, but jumbled, in there.
Also doesn't Angers having a capital go against Ximenean clueing principles?
45 of 62  -   Report This Post

drxx

3rd July 2023, 09:38
The cardinal is a number, lumen (+ Fr. 'from the'/of the?).
I don't like the capital, but it happens a lot.
46 of 62  -   Report This Post

0pt0

3rd July 2023, 10:30
Drxx, many thanks for your hint at # 40. All is now clear.
47 of 62  -   Report This Post

adeano

3rd July 2023, 12:59
Really enjoyed this. Bit of a slog at first, but then focussing on the two 12-letter clues helped me begin the fill. After that, progress was fairly steady. Helped I had a long afternoon with nothing else to do yesterday!

Was held up for a while by thinking I'd finished but only having 11 short answers - sneaky ploy from Tringa there.

And the theme is something I particularly enjoy, so got it immediately for once.

Thanks Tringa

48 of 62  -   Report This Post

granama1

3rd July 2023, 13:18
I was late getting started with this and found it all a bit confusing to start with, but once I got started with the grid fill it came together very nicely and rattled through quite a few clues quite quickly.

Had to do a little grid juggling at the end (involving the final down clue) and had chosen the wrong extra letter for 'Regions having lost...') The final symbol was a nice touch.

Thanks Tringa.
49 of 62  -   Report This Post

jif73

3rd July 2023, 15:41
I too was caught out by the final down entry and its symmetrical counterpart. Finally finished at 1:40 this morning after taking an age trying to parse the first across clue. I finally decided that the definition was actually wordplay for another synonym of the answer and I was all set to moan vociferously about unfair clueing! I should have looked at the answer's second entry in the BRB.

This is my favourite Listener puzzle so far this year. Thank you, Tringa.
Thanks also to Anne Bradford's BRB for help with lots of the cold solving and to Dave Clark once again for his amazing Listener-Style Crossword Grid Designer for generating the symmetrical grid; anyone not aware of this wonderful bit of software can find it here:

https://codepen.io/dcwarwick/pen/wvdebxB
50 of 62  -   Report This Post