CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

2nd July 2023, 07:48
Gitto, I am interested in 7d and its counterpart too - any more you can say to help?
Also would love a steer on 'Republican shuns jet set (3)' which I think is a 4?
31 of 62  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd July 2023, 08:48
gitto, yes 7d and its counterpart are also problematic - probably more so given the endgame - that's why I thought it best to add my final comment in brackets.
lumen, remove the 'r' from a jet of water (5 letters) its first letter is extra.
32 of 62  -   Report This Post

andyp

2nd July 2023, 09:16
Isnt it 6d and its counterpart?

I do have trouble with 7d - namely havent a clue how to parse it! Can someone out me out of my misery please. (Its the ignoring cold one).

Also "once more conflate" (coincidentally 7a) escapes me from parsing perspective.

33 of 62  -   Report This Post

andyp

2nd July 2023, 09:18
Any particular area you are struggling will37?
34 of 62  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd July 2023, 09:34
andyp - the 2nd across entry doesn't have a corresponding down answer, so the following down entry is 7d (not 6d).
7d 'soul' is the def - take the starts/'tops' of the next 4 words (one of them is an extra).
But if you're referring to the next down clue - a 3 letter word for the bird (also found in a convent?) then remove 'c' from 'set on' [with one 't' removed].
35 of 62  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd July 2023, 09:41
Sorry for the unnecessary help with the 3 letter one - I see you gave the clue for the one you were unsure of.
The other one - the 7th across entry (not 7a) - has one of the single letter abbreviations for 'king' followed by 'issue'/come out (def first 3 words).
36 of 62  -   Report This Post

andyp

2nd July 2023, 09:53
thanks drxx - no problem re the extra help (although i had got that one) - my fault for confusion over naming the clues/entries. I was referring to the 6th down clue (and its counterpart) being the ones that caused trouble given the endgame.

Sometimes as in "once more conflate" it amazes me how my mind overlooks the (now it has been explained) pretty straightforward!
37 of 62  -   Report This Post

useby

2nd July 2023, 10:37
Just had another look at the Scoundrel and the Stiffly placements I had, and in the bright daylight it's easy to see the arrangement is fine. A bit of distance and some sleep works wonders to clear away the doubt.
Drxx, thanks for taking the effort to post.
38 of 62  -   Report This Post

0pt0

2nd July 2023, 10:55
I have the four words from the spare letters, but cannot link them thematically to any of the across answers. A hint would be appreciated.
39 of 62  -   Report This Post

drxx

2nd July 2023, 11:28
Try them again with an apostrophe s ('s).
40 of 62  -   Report This Post