CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

4th March 2023, 19:36
18d is just an anagram, though well concealed
51 of 82  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

4th March 2023, 21:25
Jono: Interesting info on 9A but, as I haven't googled old Torq, I suspect the answer is too obscure. Rather than give me a hint; is this a fair clue?
I cannot parse 16, 22 but I'm sure I've got it right, so I'll dig through the forum for hints, but if there aren't any, please would someone add one?
8A alerted me to the theme and after that I was OK although 6A eluded me for a while and the penny dropped just a minute ago.
Keep up the good work everone.
Thanks.
52 of 82  -   Report This Post

jono

4th March 2023, 21:58
Hi Jen’
I think 9a is fair. The final four letters reversed are the name of a Spanish inquisitor.
16,22 is one of the themed characters outside (defending) two words for ”the homestead” and one letter for “university”.
53 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th March 2023, 22:12
A pretty obscure inquisitor, though jono. The reversed name is much more well-known.
54 of 82  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

4th March 2023, 22:13
Thanks Jono; I think the identity of 9A's GI is, IMHO, a little too obscure for GK so one is forced to google GIs in general.
Just realized that I also cannot parse 21A although I really am sure I've got it right. If The first word is supposed to mean 'leg' then I don't get it (UK slang?).
Anyway, no rush, I can wait for 225.
55 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th March 2023, 22:16
...in fact I think the reversed one might indeed have been what Paul intended - the old lady could have been individually reversed? The unreversed one is far too obscure to be fair (I had to drill down throgh Google to find him!)
56 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th March 2023, 22:17
For 21, yes "leg". Think Tour de France, for example.
57 of 82  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

4th March 2023, 22:20
Thanks ChrisE: Yes, of course, silly me (slap on the head).
58 of 82  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

5th March 2023, 02:39
I almost always have trouble with Paul puzzles, and this was no exception, even though I am well-versed in the theme. Used to watch the original as a child, and have recently seen the Netflix series 27a. Even with all that, the wordplay in several proved elusive.

But enough of that. I can’t believe it hasn’t been done yet, but I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition.
59 of 82  -   Report This Post

davel

5th March 2023, 07:53
Well done mprf 😁
60 of 82  -   Report This Post