CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

4th March 2023, 01:06
This week's Prize is by the ever-popular Paul and it is an absolute belter!

You'll see that there are numerous clues related to 10,24 and, even though I solved this very early on, it took an age for the penny to finally drop but, when it did, I couldn't help but laugh out loud and wonder - how did I miss it!

Oh, and there is even a Paulinesque clue for good measure:-)

FOI was 6a followed by 19a.

If you do get stuck there is at least one anagram in both the acrosses and downs.

The only clue I haven't fully parsed is 21a ..... cancel that, I see it now.

COD - My favourite themed clue is 16,22 and normal clue is the short but sweet 23d.

Thanks to Paul for a most enjoyable Prize puzzle:-)

Leave a comment letting us know how you got on and, as always, if you run into difficulties - just post your query on here.

Stat safe:-)

1 of 82  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th March 2023, 01:13
Many thanks to Paul. I loved this one, most enjoyable Prize in a long time!

On first quick perusal it looked impossible, but after getting a few scattered words I luckily deduced the theme. Then I got on the wavelength and finished quickly. On balance a quick solve, but perceived difficulty will vary, depending on how quickly one figures out the full theme (which involves some regional and perhaps dated GK).

FOI 12, LOI 22.

All of the fully thematic clues were delights, will go with (16,22a) as COD followed by 6d. The Pauline clue is a classic, and too many other good clues to enumerate.

I hope others have as much fun with this Prize as I did.
2 of 82  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th March 2023, 01:19
Hi Geeker,

I see you enjoyed this as much as I did. Regarding the GK, a new version is actually on at the moment and the original is so well known that I'm sure everybody will be aware of it.
3 of 82  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th March 2023, 01:32
Oops, I meant to say LOI was 22d. Actually one of the easiest clues, but that's how it went. 🤣
4 of 82  -   Report This Post

jono

4th March 2023, 08:20
Good fun I thought. Got the theme quickly but admit to having to look up certain references e.g. 27 which I wouldn’t have known was thematic.
Fortunately I did know the grand inquisitor reference due to another setter who derives his name from that same reversal!
5 of 82  -   Report This Post

rocky7

4th March 2023, 08:22
Just started this. Am I right Chambers has a different spelling for 3d?

Just wanted to make sure I had the right answer.
6 of 82  -   Report This Post

jono

4th March 2023, 08:29
Rocky, yes, I had the same thought. The fourth letter variation is in Chambers only as a plural as far as I can see.
7 of 82  -   Report This Post

jono

4th March 2023, 08:33
…nor is it in Collins, but it’s there in the ODE, so all’s well
8 of 82  -   Report This Post

rocky7

4th March 2023, 08:34
Good stuff. I can proceed.
9 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th March 2023, 09:40
I really don't know why I bother with Paul's puzzles. I rarely enjoy them. I solved 10, 24 early on, but it didn't help much as I've never seen the other reference to it; Google eventually helped out. Saving grace - with the Google list it was a pretty easy Prize.
3d is definitely spelled incorrectly.
13d doesn't seem to make sense - I can see the definition and a nobleman, but where does the rest come from?
10 of 82  -   Report This Post