CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

2nd July 2022, 18:37
chrise, My first instinct for 5a was the (5,4) dual homophone, which frequently appears and seems to be the crossword puzzle norm. Not being a birder, I assumed the plausible (4,4) alternative homophone was correct.
31 of 50  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd July 2022, 20:02
Roof

Just back in. They arrived bang on time at 5pm. But to be honest the Lancaster bomber was the best part for me.

Well supported. That's the main thing for us small town people. 😁
32 of 50  -   Report This Post

roof

2nd July 2022, 20:03
Hi everyone

I had a glass of wine and a sudden spurt. Just four to get in the north west corner; 1ac (though I have the second word), 9ac, 1d and 2d.

I tell a lie, I have still to get the second word of 14ac. I assume it is a French word. I'm not sure of several in the south east corner, especially 22ac and the spelling of 19d.

We heard the planes come back, though they don't come over our house on the return to the airport. I'm glad the weather was fair for the display. It makes all the difference.

Off to get the washing in and hoping it has dried after earlier showers (just 2.7mm today). We had over 1cm the other day andthe butts are full.
33 of 50  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd July 2022, 20:11
Yes second word of 14a is but so is the first. So be careful.
34 of 50  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd July 2022, 20:15
hi again, roof
cat on lap, so lower case!
1a is an anagram - think gemstones
9a is fairly straightforward, but backwards
1d the prince is middle eastern
2d is a fairly obscure word - outskirts of solitary around a day
14 is a foreign expression, it starts with e rather than i, and is an anagram
difficult to give a further hint for 22, but what animal might be faithful?
standard spelling for 19d
35 of 50  -   Report This Post

roof

2nd July 2022, 20:54
Hi Chris

Many thanks for further hints.

My cat doesn't like it when I sit in the front room to do the crossword. He settles down on me, but I have to lean over him to check words and eventually he moves off.

I've now got 1ac and 22ac and changed my spelling of 19d.

14ac not so much lost as found!

I'm still pondering the last three. I hope to get them before I ring my friend tomorrow.

Time to settle down with the last ever Montalbano now
36 of 50  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd July 2022, 21:09
roof,
"14ac not so much lost as found!"
Well said. I considered posting a hint to that effect, but am hyper-fearful of spoilers.
37 of 50  -   Report This Post

luko

2nd July 2022, 22:02
Thanks Chrise (@30) - sorry for the late reply!
38 of 50  -   Report This Post

bremskey

3rd July 2022, 11:47
thanks!... I'm puzzled by the use of FOI and LOI , and have racked my brains for their possible meanings ...but my best crossword ...I love Paul's crosswords (28,10A ...16D !)... he seems to be the natural inheritor to Araucaria ...
could use hints for NW corner(1,2,3D & 1,9A) and 25A( weird word?...o-i-a-o-s ?...I assume it ends with reversal of sour)
Bremskey
39 of 50  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd July 2022, 11:58
Try also some initial letters for 25 - my favourite clue!
I gave hints for 1d and 2d earlier. 3d is a stew. A german city and then a commercial are sourrounded by a 4 letter word for "worry" (although there are closer synonyms).
40 of 50  -   Report This Post