CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

2nd July 2022, 00:58
Thanks to the reliable Paul for this week's Prize.

I enjoyed this and thought there were many excellent clues, but didn't notice any really distinctive features such as a theme. Though of (about median) Prize difficulty, it felt a bit Everyman-like (I don't mean this pejoratively), despite lacking a rhyming pair or (strictly) "first letters" clue. Hoped for some Pauline naughtiness, but was let down 😉. Only slight criticism: two clues fairly close in the grid had very similar wordplay.

A long across anagram, a fairly long one in the downs. Quite a few charade-like constructions and a good homophone.

FOI 22, had to start slowly with several shorter clues. Then the pace picked up, but struggled with a handful at the very end. LOI 3. Google required for 11, which was next to last in. One heavily UK-centric clue, but luckily I've seen variants.
COD 17 by a nose over 7. Also liked 16, 25, (28,10)*, 1d, 22, 13 and 2.

Don't know how to describe the wordplay of (28,10), but it's a fairly unusual device that always pleases.
1 of 50  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd July 2022, 01:28
Hi Geeker,

This looks like a classic case of 'horses for courses' and I was definitely not at the races (hmm 🤔 that doesn't quite work, does it Bren).

What I'm trying to say, if I can get over trying to be Oscar Wilde fot two minutes, is that I found it quite difficult (why didn't you just say that!)

FOI was 12,18 although I didn't fully parse it until the end.

If you do get stuck, there is at least one hidden and one long anagram in both the acrosses and downs.

COD - I'm going with 28,10 as, no matter how many times I see this type of clue, it always manages to almost catch me out, although 16d ran it very close.

Thanks to Paul for his usual high standard puzzle:-)

Welcome to Teacher, Bremskey and Jennaralissima, who are just the latest in a long line of new posters to join our friendly Prize blog - it only takes a minute to join and then you can for and answer as many hints as you like. in addition to giving your thoughts on a particular puzzle 😃

Stay safe:-)
2 of 50  -   Report This Post

paulnz

2nd July 2022, 03:21
hi there. Any tips for 16? I have an answer that helps with music timing but can't parse.
3 of 50  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd July 2022, 03:24
HI Paul,

16d - 3 letter "spring" reversed/'up' inside 5 letter "timing mechanism" - definition is "key" (but nothing to do with music)
4 of 50  -   Report This Post

paulnz

2nd July 2022, 04:12
cheers Brendan that provided PDM for 24,27. Just 25 to go
5 of 50  -   Report This Post

johnnykingsman

2nd July 2022, 07:38
Always enjoy a challenge from Paul. Agree that this mid range regards level of difficulty.
FOI 26 then made steady progress with SW corner being the last to fall. LOI was 17.
Too many good clues to single out a favourite but do wonder what non UK solvers made of 4 - solution obvious from crossers but suspect the Norman in question not so obvious!

Thanks Paul and Geeker.
6 of 50  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd July 2022, 07:39
Teignmouth air show this afternoon so time will be limited later. So I am making an early start.

Spent ages thinking there was a mistake in 5a before realising there is a 4 letter word as well that fits.

OK progress so far but question. Is 14a a phrase we use or is Paul testing our linguistic capabilities? Or have I got it completely wrong.
7 of 50  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd July 2022, 07:47
Paul said that he thought this one was “a tad easier than usual”, and I’d probably agree with that.
I also wondered how non-UK solvers would get on with 4, though with the central crosser in place it immediately came to mind for me. 28,10 my favourite too.
Cheers all
8 of 50  -   Report This Post

rocky7

2nd July 2022, 07:47
Also can't see where third letter comes from in 22a
9 of 50  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd July 2022, 07:52
Hi Rocky, I did exactly the same with 5a. With 14a I have heard the term used here and it’s in Chambers, but as you suggest and without giving too much away, some linguistics are required.
The third letter in 22a relates to Britain in the clue.
10 of 50  -   Report This Post