CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

10th August 2010, 23:00
trevor: Strange, yes; but one could hardly be judgmental on this side of the Atlantic. The American humorist Dave Barry once defined a Baby Boomer as anyone who being prompted with "Shirley Shirley Bo Birley" will involuntarily respond: "Banana Fanna Fo Firley."
11 of 58  -   Report This Post

ajt

10th August 2010, 23:03
As Oscar Wilde remarked "The British and Americans have everyhthing in common except their languge"
12 of 58  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th August 2010, 23:25
He also said that Niagara Falls must be the second-biggest disappointment in American marriage, and alienated himself in the Midwest by referring to the farmers as peasants.
13 of 58  -   Report This Post

ajt

10th August 2010, 23:30
What was the first, Aristophanes?
14 of 58  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th August 2010, 23:34
The first? Of the answers I mentioned, do you mean? MILO, I think.
15 of 58  -   Report This Post

ajt

10th August 2010, 23:36
No, Aristophanes the first big disappointment in marriage
16 of 58  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th August 2010, 23:40
Yeah, I just realized what you meant (brain freeze). Gosh, I can't imagine what Wilde meant. You do know it's a honeymoon haven, don't you? You do see some rather dazed expressions on the Maid of the Mist.
17 of 58  -   Report This Post

terry

10th August 2010, 23:57
"The Niagara Falls is simply a vast amount of water going the wrong way over some unecessary rocks;the sight of the water fall must be one of the earliest and keenest disappointments in American married life." Oscar Wilde.
18 of 58  -   Report This Post

ajt

11th August 2010, 00:01
How did the subject of the Niagara Falls arise in Wilde's output, Terry?
19 of 58  -   Report This Post

terry

11th August 2010, 00:13
AJT,

Wilde simply visited America as a tourist. travel broadens the mind and all that. This was just a throwaway comment. Niagara falls were (are?) a big honeymoon spot and this remark is one of many Wilde made slagging off marriage. He is also saying that the Falls are a great disappointment and that is true.
Like Dr Johnson said about the Giant's Causeway;"worth seeing but not worth making a special trip to do so. I've seen the falls and the simple fact is that too much water is exracted for hydo-electricity plants. What should be an awesome spectacle isn't.
20 of 58  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Azed 1993