CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

zardoz

24th July 2010, 08:02
Thanks Bathtub, for posting that.

Yes, figured it out a couple of minutes afterward. One of those "Duh" moments, then got an hour-long call & forgot to come back.

That was a nasty one, but Lavatch is never easy, at least for me.
41 of 48  -   Report This Post

zardoz

24th July 2010, 08:06
"Bathtub" !?

Dare I ask? What the heck is that all about? ;-)

42 of 48  -   Report This Post

ixion

24th July 2010, 14:39
Provisionally finished after a long struggle - but as usual have a few loose ends that require clarification and would appreciate some feedback.

3D - despite much googling can't see a clear(or smoky) link between answer and Brandy.(possibly due to being Chambers-less)

7D - Answer is clear but can't get the construction.

41A - As above - eo=old game?!

23A - Previously posted as "renews" without any dissenting comment - "resets" seems a viable alternative to me?

Thanks

ixion

43 of 48  -   Report This Post

ajt

24th July 2010, 15:35
Hello Ixion - Sorry you've been waiting - I've just come in from Tesco's.
3d. You're right - Chambers - Cape Smoke is SA brandy 7d

Hope this satisfies Look is la. then area = a. and gers (chambers again) tents.
41 ac. eo is an old gambling game. 23ac. I wasn't happy at first about renews, but re = again, and news is a programme, rather than sets.
7d.
44 of 48  -   Report This Post

ixion

24th July 2010, 16:12
http://thespectator.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Thanks AJT - thats put my mind at rest for all except 23A.
45 of 48  -   Report This Post

ajt

24th July 2010, 16:33
Hello again Ixion - I forgot to say before, but I think the "touching" part must mean because re is next to - whatever you want to make it. But "news" is a programme, and I don't think "sets" is. However, like you, I'm not completely happy about it - it could be just that it's a bad clue.
46 of 48  -   Report This Post

ixion

24th July 2010, 16:48
Thanks again AJT - was thinking of resets as a whole clue defn(touching programme being the setting bit) - buts renews re/regarding/touching plus news for programme works better.
47 of 48  -   Report This Post

silly boy

27th July 2010, 15:18
Hooray ...... it's taken me a week, but I've finished ! Thought I'd never get there ..... had my shredder ready ! lol ;o)
48 of 48  -   Report This Post