CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT30

flipper2law

22nd July 2010, 22:21
Thanks - again - Caravaggio
41 of 65  -   Report This Post

mondrian

23rd July 2010, 10:24
Thanks for the welcome, JimC. Thanks also to Caravaggio for the info about googling chiaoscuro. I thought the spelling was Chiaroscuro. Just managed to finish No 30 last night. I dont know how so many of the contributors manage to finish it in 40 minutes or so - all really clever people.
42 of 65  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

23rd July 2010, 11:05
Good morning, Mondrian. Yes, you're quite right - I inadvertently left out the 'r'! Do I assume that your sobriquet is derived from Piet Mondrian?
43 of 65  -   Report This Post

robtherich

23rd July 2010, 11:13
Just to register: to the best of my knowledge I've never been to Cheshire...
44 of 65  -   Report This Post

philip

23rd July 2010, 12:54
Hello everyone

When John from Arran and I started this weekly RT blog about 6 months ago, it was very much personal banter between the 2 of us and it is great to see we now are approaching 50 posts this week.

The reason we can do it so quickly is that once you are into it you get to understand the compilers mind and as such you know`what you are looking for. I should add, I dont do many other crosswords, as I frankly dont have the time and I find the Times frustrating, and quite often when I see the answers I still dont understand. So I keep to what I know.

I look forward to more and more people getting involved and if this increases the RT circulation, who kmows the licence fee might come down.

We can but wish

See you all in Cheshire next Wednesday at the first RT Crossword convention. Its in the phone box nearest to Chester Cathedral!

PHILIP
45 of 65  -   Report This Post

mondrian

24th July 2010, 09:35
Good morning to you too Caravaggio! Yes some of Piet Mondrian`s painting were the inspiration for my name. JimC, as you can download photos of artists maybe you can access some of his work, in particular something called `boogie woogie` - cant remember the rest of its name but perhaps Caravaggio knows! Well done to Karen on winning. Like others sometimes I get the answer and still cant see the connection to the clue - like 2D and 1A. Any explanations welcome. Hope you all have a good party in Cheshire!!
46 of 65  -   Report This Post

jimc

24th July 2010, 09:49
Hi.

Piet Mondrian's "Broadway Boogie Woogie" (with its lattice structure it looks a bit like a crossword):

http://artfiles.art.com/5/p/LRG/17/1704/R2M1D00Z/piet-mondrian-broadway-boogie-woogie.jpg" alt="BoogieWoogie" hspace=10 >

JimC

47 of 65  -   Report This Post

mondrian

24th July 2010, 09:58
Thanks JimC for reminding me. Must go - time`s up at Library
48 of 65  -   Report This Post

karen

24th July 2010, 10:08
Thank you Mondrian, 2d anagram of shinier + nil reversed 1a S-second complicated-Hard.
49 of 65  -   Report This Post

old gal

24th July 2010, 10:34
I'm really stuck on 17d - any further clues please! I like the Mondrian painting - would make a good patchwork quilt! I'll get my scissors out.
50 of 65  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT30