CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

woodlouse

7th October 2018, 18:13
REynard, replace GRIP.
61 of 117  -   Report This Post

meursault

7th October 2018, 18:54
Hi Unclued, you asked what is the best way to get into the endgame. There have been various oblique references during this thread. The first letters of the extra words. after they have been jumbled into thematic creatures, in sequence of clues form a 12-letter name of a playwright. This is useful to know for after you have got the theme, but still want to resolve some odds and ends. The first letters of resolved clashes, also in sequence of clues. provide the name of the play (3,5). There was an uncharacteristically poor Hitchcock film of the same title, but this play was very much earlier. Then, when you have identified the play, you need to work out the two cities. Google may assist. They are both in logical positions, one of them is missing some letters.
62 of 117  -   Report This Post

unclued

7th October 2018, 19:23
Thanks Meursault. I hope I can solve the rest of the clues first. Just the NW corner to go.
63 of 117  -   Report This Post

reynard

7th October 2018, 21:48
Clearly, I am being extremely dense, but I do not see how replacing GRIP with the interloper will leave "real words" in the final grid.
64 of 117  -   Report This Post

merenz

7th October 2018, 22:20
Reynard. Replacing grip with the interloper means you’re only changing the first and last letters of grip. Therefore only 36d is affected and it remains a real word. In removing the interloper entirely from its original position you are, again, left with (shorter) real words.

Meanwhile I am struggling on with this beast of a crossword. I still have the NE corner to complete and 3 clashing clues to locate. The missing elements of the 3,5 theme should help... albeit tomorrow morning now with fresh eyes.

Could someone put me out of my misery on the parsing for 34a. I’ve sorted the “taste”, the extra words and the def but can’t really see what “only” has to do with it. My 2003 BRB is struggling!
65 of 117  -   Report This Post

xij

7th October 2018, 22:22
Everything done except 28d. Is “lots of” correct? I don’t understand the clue at all, and where does North America fit in? Could be “tons of” I suppose. Any help appreciated.
66 of 117  -   Report This Post

xij

7th October 2018, 22:27
Merenz, taste is gout, shift the “g” to the back, then add “one” for only.
67 of 117  -   Report This Post

unclued

7th October 2018, 22:28
Merenz- look up the adjectival definition of ONE and you’ll find ONLY.
68 of 117  -   Report This Post

unclued

7th October 2018, 22:30
xij - it’s GOBS OF. OBS inside a reverse of FOG.
69 of 117  -   Report This Post

merenz

7th October 2018, 22:32
It’s not lots of xjj. There’s an earlier post about 28 re a three letter abbreviation for obscure which goes in the middle. If you look up then look up the definitions of the various possibilities you’ll find one defined as “a lot of” (N Am). Can’t really help you with the rest of the parsing. I took a leap of faith on this one
70 of 117  -   Report This Post