CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smellyharry

14th October 2018, 12:59
Hele is in chambers as a dialect word for cover or hide. So heling means covering presumably.
111 of 117  -   Report This Post

portmantony

14th October 2018, 17:55
Thanks both. Must have missed it. Must look more carefully!
112 of 117  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th October 2018, 18:20
So I'm late to the dance. You'd think this would be easy for me, eh? It's a bit of a challenge though. I have all the answers but 43A, which seems to require that FAT be there (in order that a utopian chicken might fly the coop), but I don't see the parse. I have all of the thematics and the author (of course!), and I certainly see my loony celestial creation, but I don't have any clashing letters in it as mentioned in the instructions. I also don't see why GRIP is replaced.

I hesitated to check in here, since it seems like something that annoying Socrates might do (such a busybody), but I finally gave in. I still have a few questions.

I don't quite get the parse for 17a: DIALING.

Ditto 35a: GRIP

For 24D I have SCOURS, but don't see the reasoning for the second S.

Any hints?

113 of 117  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

14th October 2018, 19:15
43a FT (newspaper) with a (are) inside

That is the one that has the City missing so there are gaps not clashes.

17a a filling is an old word for darling. A replaces L.

35a gripe is an old word for Clutch with a mathematical base- E removed.

24d Ship- SS with co (company) and ur(n) inside
114 of 117  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

14th October 2018, 20:35
Thanks! I had the parts of scours but zoned out on the order. Figured FT must be newspaper but that's new to me.

Still bewildered by the clashing letters that are supposed to be in the mythical city, and why GRIP is altered.
115 of 117  -   Report This Post

ginge

14th October 2018, 20:57
Hi aristo, re the preamble comment; I took to be that city to be all cells within the walls rather than the name which represent the walls (the clashes within give various creators of this city which you already have).
I assume "grip" showing she was caught.
Predictive text has obviously distorted djawhufc's 17a dilling.

Hope you enjoyed this, your 1st Listener, and I'll forward this weekend's (via syzygy) which is somewhat easier if you wish.
116 of 117  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th October 2018, 01:48
Thanks, ginge. All set now. Quite the magnificent production. I could do without the Spenserian words, but then you guys have to deal with a lot of inscrutable Americanisms. I'd be happy to try another, though I won't be able to print it for several days (we don't have a printer on our island), so no hurry.
117 of 117  -   Report This Post