CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

4th October 2018, 17:29
Jigjag, I didn't do all of the prize, but yours seems wrong! I'm not sure if the word is hyphenated, or is two words... but it's shiny!

It's not Shirley Bassey. Not having watched the programme, I had to do online 'research' (ahem),. The answer has all six letters together.
51 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

4th October 2018, 17:31
The person at 12 D isn't usually hyphenated. I don't know what the term is for a surname that's almost double-barrelled but not quite!
52 of 73  -   Report This Post

jigjag

4th October 2018, 17:53
malone

Thanks for that - I will have to do some "research" tomorrow
53 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

4th October 2018, 18:30
Spam-bumping....
54 of 73  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th October 2018, 11:12
Malone

thanks for the Bassey note.

I am hoping to finish it this morning. I have a surname in a diagonal which is good news but it is 4 letters, Ball which fits with my incorrect Go to the Ball idea. Not a prize, except for Cinderella, but as Goldilocks was mentioned in an earlier posting, I thought it might be right.

As it is 6 letters, I have Balla* - Ballad? (perhaps a variation of Ballard).

I dont want to Google just yet for a couple of the other thematic items, as I usually get unhelpful sites.
55 of 73  -   Report This Post

kirky

5th October 2018, 11:48
you need an "S"
56 of 73  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th October 2018, 12:56
thanks kirky - not heard of that name.

Will have to Google now to get last name - assume there will be lots of sites.

still have a few non-thematic clues to get and might need hints if possible
57 of 73  -   Report This Post

manic mary

5th October 2018, 13:20
Thanks to everyone who has held my hand I finally got there with the top line, I presume one merely highlights as it stands. The only fly in the ointment now is 35a, (?ole?re)I can only assume it is botanical in nature but can't find anything to fit so my 19d/24d/26s/28d/29d must have a wrong ending but I will be blowed if I can see where.
58 of 73  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

5th October 2018, 14:12
Manic Mary, yes, highlight the top row. 35 across is polacre (alternative spelling of polacca which is a Mediterranean vessel). I no longer have the puzzle and can't remember the clue for that.
59 of 73  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th October 2018, 14:30
Mary

You have done better than me on this one -still a couple to do.

I have got the thematic ones now thanks to Google. The first site gave me Bushel (stet) and my first thought was that it was the 6 letter one, but it could not be - then I realised they had mis-spelt the ballerina.

It also gave ***** ***** Forward, either a mis-spelling or a joke, I am not sure. I thought this person was double-barrelled but Malone says not. In that case what is the second name? Is it a second Christian name or the first part of a 2-word Surname, in which case it should be in the grid but we are not asked to find it.

60 of 73  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1350