CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

2nd October 2018, 18:57
MM, I didn't bother with the 'prize'.
30 D isn't involved in the 'two normally clued entries'
20 A Isn't in Chambers, but shows up on many word searches.
1. Take 'nun' out of 'manhunt'.
31 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2018, 18:59
Sorry, I missed one of your queries...
27 Adread, feared.

The earlier 'Eshne ' must have been a typo. Ethne is an anagram of 'het' and NE, Geordie. I think the name must mean 'fire'.
32 of 73  -   Report This Post

manic mary

2nd October 2018, 19:14
Oh for Heavens sakes...................1d, I really must be losing the plot! Still confused about 36a as Eshne means small fire but Ethne is more logical. will put adread (which I should know as it appears often enough), still doesn't parse well, or am I just beingmanic?
Many thanks
33 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2018, 19:19
MM, that should have been Adrad, I think auto-correct jumped in!
34 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2018, 19:23
Adrad is just Ad, bill/Bill + Read, study. The 'e' is an extra letter as per the preamble. Adrad, feared (in Chambers, alongside the more common Adread, linked to Spenser/Ed.)
35 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd October 2018, 07:33
MM, did you get this all finished off? I hope so!

PS There's a fair bit of spam on the forum, so I'm using this post to bump some of it down the page.
36 of 73  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

3rd October 2018, 10:17
From the 1998 edition of Chambers - Eithne, Ethne, Eithna, Ethna from 'aodhnait', diminutive of 'aodh', fire.
37 of 73  -   Report This Post

manic mary

3rd October 2018, 13:24
Thank you Always..... for that full definition, makes things much clearer. Also thank you (as ever) Malone for the help, sadly I have not yet finished as I am still trying to work out the 20a/21d/22d that I posted before and still haven't a clue about the 2 normally clued entries that need high-lighting, so frustrating!
38 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd October 2018, 13:34
20 A Foofoo.
21 D Anagram of 'frosty' and the usual 'hot'. That's a thematic answer - a huge tip to the theme!
22 D. Another odd word. Ouabain, poison. Ou is man (a South African word, I think, but I haven't checked) + A, in clue + B(r)ain ('mind lacking resistance).

Do you have definitely have the theme?
39 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd October 2018, 13:52
MM, post 15 specifies one of the clues for highlighting - that should be a massive nudge as to what else you need.
40 of 73  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1350