CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

1st October 2018, 20:22
Two clued entries, taken together, go '...…...' third word of the show, ie they get anagrammed - and give the first two words. If you treat it as a word search, and start at the beginning, it won't take long!
21 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

1st October 2018, 20:24
Sunray, for 36 A, it's just an anagram of NE, North East, Geordie (very British reference, sorry!) and Het, in the clue.
22 of 73  -   Report This Post

jigjag

1st October 2018, 20:27
Hello Sunray

I have put in ETHNE - anagram of het and NE (North East of England - where Geordies, a nickname, live)

this may be wrong though
23 of 73  -   Report This Post

jigjag

1st October 2018, 20:29
Malone - apologies - you posted while I was typing mine. Thanks for the confirmation though
24 of 73  -   Report This Post

sunray

1st October 2018, 21:02
Thanks jigjag and malone.
Did not know what Geordie in wordplay meant.
Eshne is a little fire.
25 of 73  -   Report This Post

malone

1st October 2018, 21:34
Glad we could help, Sunray. 'Geordie' crops up fairly often in UK puzzles.

Jigjag, it's fine - two answers/two heads are better than one!
26 of 73  -   Report This Post

saoralba

1st October 2018, 22:05
Sunray, the prize is a trophy but if you don't follow our TV programming you are either unlucky (for finishing this puzzle) or lucky (for reasons that would enrage keen fans if I spelt them out)!

My only problem is the parsing of 9dn. The answer is obvious, and there's a treaty with a similar name, but how exactly does the clue work? Just a niggle.
27 of 73  -   Report This Post

ginge

1st October 2018, 22:28
Hi saoralba, row = set to > see to; European: e replacing t: one treaty at first [t(reaty) but only once].
28 of 73  -   Report This Post

saoralba

2nd October 2018, 10:18
Thanks ginge - I was fixated on SEATO. Should have learned by now that this always ends badly.
29 of 73  -   Report This Post

manic mary

2nd October 2018, 18:43
Good evening, have read all the posts but am my usual confused self. Have the theme, have the 4 inquisitors, 3 down clues and the one to be highlighted (cannot work out which clue that pertains to) but despite the helpful posts am still still swimming in mud as to the two clues, is 30d involved? As to the 'prize', have all but the 4th (or 6th) letter of the first word & the first of the second. Fail to parse the 1d but have the same answer as 'the gang' so have given up caring. However, am tearing my hair out over the last few clues........HELP! 20a Money twice over (6) ?oo??o.
27a Ed's feared Bill facing study (5) Want to put ACNED but can't see why and is it Ethne or Eshne, both seem plausible. 22d would seem to be the obvious minus an R but all the poisons have a different 'back-end'. Am frustrated and confused having got so far and am now totally confused.
Sorry about the ramble! Have keyboard will witter.....
30 of 73  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1350