CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

candlestick

27th August 2017, 13:06
No need. Think I've got it now
21 of 65  -   Report This Post

essira

27th August 2017, 14:04
Me too! My P is an R but it touches my T. Q and S overlap and R stands alone. Are we looking for the number of items in the instruction or one more than that? My R encompasses the correct number of cells but it seems it cannot be the R require because it touches T. I am feeling very cross and STUPID!! Nudge required.
22 of 65  -   Report This Post

essira

27th August 2017, 14:16
To recap - my RE stands alone, my P is a RH, confused? So am I.
23 of 65  -   Report This Post

dryden

27th August 2017, 15:36
Essira, those are how my shapes are arranged.

24 of 65  -   Report This Post

essira

27th August 2017, 15:56
Some lateral thinking required with respect to instructions I guess because although the lines defining the P go through 14 cells and enclose 6 more, the lines divide the cells so area = 20 cells is not actually within shape.....and it touches T. Therefore fails on 2 counts to be the RH required. No RH fitting spec. will fit in grid as far as I can see so some fiendish logic necessary - I am missing something!
25 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

27th August 2017, 16:11
Whatever you're missing essira, so am I. Maffs was never my long suit so I have no idea if the rhombus I've randomly drawn in the spare space at the top of the grid encloses an area of 20 cells, it looks like it should but I have been too busy enjoying a rare bit of fine weather in the garden to work it out, I cannot see that the letters in the obvious space give any hint - so I am missing something too, I feel sure.
26 of 65  -   Report This Post

tandethsquire

27th August 2017, 16:16
I'm not sure if it's any use, but there is a spot in the SE where some cells can spell 'a score'...
27 of 65  -   Report This Post

wintonian

27th August 2017, 16:38
Hi essira,

Think of a rhombus as made up of a right-angled triangle, a rectangle and another right-angled triangle congruent to the first triangle and rotated through 180 degrees. You can deduce the length of a side of the rhombus and its height (the perpendicular distance between two parallel sides) from the information about the area of the item and the requirement that it is formed of straight lines joining cell centres. A quick application of Pythagoras' Theorem will tell you how far the rhombus has been shifted from the rectangle with the same length and height, and that's enough to determine the shape of the rhombus. There's only one place for this in the grid that satisfies all the conditions in the preamble.
28 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

27th August 2017, 16:46
Or, if Pythagoras has always perplexed you (like me), you can revert to playschool and cut out 4x5 rectangles from a spare grid and cut off triangles until you get a rhombus with equal sides that fits from cell centre to cell centre. Job done and all without needing to wake up those long dormant Pythagorean brain cells! Back to the garden now.
29 of 65  -   Report This Post

dryden

27th August 2017, 16:49
Planks and Essira, consider first that there must be no ambiguity, so it must not be possible to move the 'further item' in any direction without touching one of the other shapes. That will more or less determine one of your bases and its parallel partner.
Secondly, the area of the required shape is the base times the perpendicular height. Since we are not dealing with fractions the shape must be 20x1 or 10x2 or 5x4 (base x perp. height in cell units). Two of those are impossible given the free space left.

I have the further item slotted in nicely following that logic, so I hope I'm not misleading you. If anyone thinks I am wrong please say so.
30 of 65  -   Report This Post