CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

27th August 2017, 10:59
Good morning, Planks. Yes, the shape uses the blank cell at the beginning of 25. It also runs through the starts of 26 & 34. "Any Q that is not a P; one with one (and only one) pair of parallel sides..."
11 of 65  -   Report This Post

planks

27th August 2017, 11:09
Doh! How did I not see that. Many thanks Meursault. Just the R to position now.
12 of 65  -   Report This Post

candlestick

27th August 2017, 11:32
I'm struggling to enter the further shape correctly, and make it have an area of 20. Mine appears to have 18. Do the points, taken in clockwise order from the top, spell a four-letter title for a girl?
13 of 65  -   Report This Post

dryden

27th August 2017, 11:33
My puzzlement about MISTY/MISTS is that the clue is one with a definition misprint (lazy/hazy) and with wordplay that gives a wrong letter for the entry (S in stead of Y). The preamble says that the clues are (a) normal OR (b) have definition misprints OR (c) have woedplay giving a wrong letter in the entry. 44a appears to be BOTH (b) and (c).

I don't have all the letters of RHOMBUS, which people here say is the further item, but if it is, I don't see how the correct letter for 44 (ie Y) contributes to RHOMBUS

I did have AGUISE, not AGUIZE. That's two homophon clues where the answer/entry is ambiguous, the other one being 41d. That is poor clueing.
14 of 65  -   Report This Post

meursault

27th August 2017, 11:54
Hi Dryden, I too stumbled into Aguise, but solving 32 revealed the error. As to 44, I don't agree. The definition is "becomes hazy"; there is no wrong letter in the grid entry.

But talking of Miss - Candlestick - I was tempted by your suggestion when I returned home yesterday evening, slightly the worse for wear. Looking at it again this morning, that would make the shape a square, however the definition indicates that a square is usually excluded from being a rhombus. And, as you also say, the area is too small.
15 of 65  -   Report This Post

reynard

27th August 2017, 11:54
dryden - 44 is a type b clue with H being the correct letter and the definition is "becomes hazy", therefore using mists as a verb.
16 of 65  -   Report This Post

dryden

27th August 2017, 12:12
Thanks. That clears up the mystery. I read 'becomes' as a linking word. My inflexible brain!

I'm going to have to go through all the clues again as I have only five entries with incorrect letters, which, after correction, give me in clue order SOMRH. No B or U.
17 of 65  -   Report This Post

dryden

27th August 2017, 12:27
Oversight on my part. I had the U but hadn't highlighte it. Now to find the B.
18 of 65  -   Report This Post

dryden

27th August 2017, 12:37
And I now have the B, overlooked because there are no unchecked cells, so I had the entry without solving the clue. I think it's a dreadful clue to a non-standard entry, virtually unsolveable cold. Nor am I keen on an obscure initialism being misprinted. That's bordering on unfair. The puzzle is turning me into a grumpy old man.
19 of 65  -   Report This Post

candlestick

27th August 2017, 12:58
I've been trying to draw this rhombus for two hours now. Can someone give me a hint, even if it is just one of the coordinates.
20 of 65  -   Report This Post