CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

6th February 2017, 14:53
orson - Yes seven clashes - Your second phrase is correct (ie as per preamble telling you it is only the letters from the 'down' answers to be transferred to one of the columns) - perpetrator doing a job - warning ends where you said, so if you see the word in that row should be able to see which column leads to it.
51 of 60  -   Report This Post

notrab

6th February 2017, 14:55
Make a knight's move from a clash into the bottom row and imto the top row and you have the beginning and end of the perpetrator's journey.

He is doing his job and might well have visited you this morning.

The warning does end where you say. Work backwards along that row which will show where the mess came from look up the column that ends in the cell before the D, look up to find WE and then fill in the gap from there to the bottom row.

Sorry if this is not too clear but it is from memory as I have thrown the paper away!
52 of 60  -   Report This Post

orson

6th February 2017, 15:01
Thanks very much, crates and notrab. Having got so far I didn't want to give up!
53 of 60  -   Report This Post

riversk

6th February 2017, 16:22
Thanks, meursault. Yes, should have known better about 38. But even a Google search did not immediately yield 8.
54 of 60  -   Report This Post

ninacross

6th February 2017, 21:25
Gentlemen

I have a complete grid, a seven word clean-up instruction, a work area and perpetrator, a 'tone' as set by the trail inc. across clashes, a punctuation symbol to tidy up the end of an instruction, and using the trail with down clashes and another 8 cells, I have an 18(!) letter long three-word 'instruction' of what not to do...

The positioning of the last nine cells are clear to me.

I have 9 letters to assemble from the trail (not 10) so can only make an 18 not a 19.

I do not understand where to place the first part of the instruction - suggestions have been made which may be correct, but I can't see any guidance.

I do not yet understand the "one matching its replacement" phrase.

Help would be appreciated.

55 of 60  -   Report This Post

wintonian

6th February 2017, 22:55
Hi ninacross, the clean-up instruction is only the first four words arising from the dropped letters. The trail of knight’s moves begins with the first letter of the work area, goes through seven cells where the across and down entries clash, and ends with the last letter of the perpetrator. The nine letters consisting of the first letter of the work area, the seven letters from the across entries in the clashing cells, and the last letter of the perpetrator, spell out “dark brown”, which has already been noted in an earlier post as the “tone” for the work area.

The cell where 42d and 49a intersect is a clash of “I” from the across clue and “DOT” from the down clue, and these can be combined to form a pling (word remembered from Listener 4418 last year = “!”). “Missing the point” in that cell gives 49a as “TEPID” and 38d as “BARI”, the latter being a real name (of a city in Italy).

The instruction given by the last three words from the dropped letters tells you what seven letters (not nine, as the first and last letters in the trail don't clash), in an order that has to be worked out, will replace the same number of letters in column 3. This leads to a four-letter warning, beginning with the fourth letter of 3d, running down to the third letter of 48a, turning through 90 degrees and running along the bottom row, including the eight letters of the work area and the cell with the exclamation mark (a total of 19 cells). Not all of the letters in column 3 that form part of the message need to be replaced, only a subset of consecutive letters. However, one of this subset of consecutive letters that have to be replaced is actually “replaced” with the same letter. Remember that all the words in the final grid are real words or real names, and this will give you hints for which set of consecutive letters in column 3 can be changed, and which have to stay the same.

I thought that this puzzle had a good set of clues, but the endgame was over-elaborate (hence this long post) and the end product a bit of an anti-climax.
56 of 60  -   Report This Post

smithsax

7th February 2017, 20:21
Took me a while to finish this one as out of the country with limited bandwidth. Agree with previous comments except I wonder if the "Missing the point in one cell" refers to the now orphaned "s" on the penultimate row.
Can a single letter only used as an abbreviation or symbol be regarded as a real word?

57 of 60  -   Report This Post

crates

8th February 2017, 08:32
smithsax - Although I regarded this as a strange answer - I don't see that the 's' is orphaned. Is it not the final letter of 28D once two cells have been removed. (An informal contraction of...)
58 of 60  -   Report This Post

smartie

8th February 2017, 23:00
Please ignore my contribution at entry 39 - I hadn't got to the last phase and now realise I was spouting piffle (nothing new there then).
59 of 60  -   Report This Post

chrisity

9th February 2017, 01:44
I was diverted by "cumshaw" on the top line, which is a tip (gratuity), but for a while i thought it was going to be where the clean-up went.
60 of 60  -   Report This Post