CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

notrab

5th February 2017, 11:58
Thank you smartie. I was perplexed because I could not see how that fitted in with 43 across but I now realise why it is correct!
21 of 60  -   Report This Post

saoralba

5th February 2017, 12:07
Meursault, I think that 42dn has more to it than meets the eye. Look at the number of letters shown for the answer! I don't think I'm missing the point.
22 of 60  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

5th February 2017, 12:10
Isn't 42d Bardot, going off the puzzle? The paper says it has 6 letters and I assumed it was part of the mess. I have 6 letters left and the phrase to work out etc so I might be on the wrong track. Hint for 31?
23 of 60  -   Report This Post

smartie

5th February 2017, 12:26
Rrrobbo - pop group (think 70's) surrounded by (boring) word for way - letter a is removed from away to give a witches' meeting. Hope this helps!
24 of 60  -   Report This Post

saoralba

5th February 2017, 12:35
Rrrobbo, I think you may be missing the point! Nothing is outside the grid.
25 of 60  -   Report This Post

notrab

5th February 2017, 12:45
Making a knight's move from the appropriate cell in 43 leads me to the beginning of an eight letter word; a similar move from the cell in 11 leads to the end of a diagonal seven letter word. Is this just coincidence?
26 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th February 2017, 12:59
Thank you, Saoralba. I hadn't noticed the (6). I've still to see the significance of this, though I'm sure Notrab's observation is relevant to the work area and perpetrator...
27 of 60  -   Report This Post

notrab

5th February 2017, 13:18
Thanks Mersault. I also notice that reading from bottom to top and choosing a letter from each clash cell I can make dark brown. Another coincidence?
28 of 60  -   Report This Post

dis

5th February 2017, 13:29
I'm pretty sure we are meant to put an exclamation mark in the Bardot cell but I don't see the warning it is meant to finish.
29 of 60  -   Report This Post

meursault

5th February 2017, 14:17
Again, Notrab, I think your observation is relevant, though I don't think the colour plays any further part in the solution. The warning combines the replaced letters in one column which leads to the start of the work area.

Dis, I think you are right, the exclamation point remains (the I is discarded) which means that 49a is no longer a real word or name. I suppose the end of the preamble is referring to this, in an unwieldy kind of way...
30 of 60  -   Report This Post