CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

5th November 2016, 18:28
Hi Turast, it's okay except for uniqueness : if origami is okay, there would then be rival solutions, such as cut open the puzzle between rows 6 and 7, and splice in an extra row with an R in column 6.

There were 1 or 2 setters a few years back who favoured mutilation of the grid in order to produce some denouement or other. At that time my individual anarchism ("so if I just crumple it up and throw it in the bin, do I win ?") didn't go down too well with the prim ABers...
131 of 161  -   Report This Post

throck

5th November 2016, 18:38
Can we do anything with the ARCH in SEARCHAREA, linking two bent HAREs? Can't see how it relates to anything that gone before.
132 of 161  -   Report This Post

primeprospect

6th November 2016, 09:32
Am still struggling with 35ac and 36 Down ! I have E -- -- U and -- D -- A respectively. Any hints will be gratefully received ! !
133 of 161  -   Report This Post

thepost

6th November 2016, 10:26
Primeprospect

35 across is ECRU - EC = old-style community; RU = sport
ECRU = a fabric as is Holland

36 down is CRIA - def of a llama's young. AI = heart of "ordained"; RC = chiurch - both backwards (on the wayup).

Now please solve the end-game and let us all know!
134 of 161  -   Report This Post

primeprospect

6th November 2016, 11:33
MANY thanks, the post ! I had somehow contrived to make the RD clash elsewhere, hence my problem. But as to the final hurdle .... Am inclined to go for the HILL itself (a diagonal) or else the "mucky place" CLOSE by it, so to speak. But I am not convinced ! Otherwise ARCH, LIFT ...or maybe NOT-L ??! The point to be attentive to is that the word's in the search area...
135 of 161  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th November 2016, 14:47
Nearly caught up but stuck on bottom right. Could I have the following letters please

30 - 2346
42 - 135

That should be enough to fill the other gaps. I think I will be going for a hare somewhere 8-). Thanks.
136 of 161  -   Report This Post

throck

6th November 2016, 15:53
30 is ?NNU?S
42 is T?E?E?
137 of 161  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th November 2016, 16:22
Cheers.
Last one - is 37 herden? I can't find the definition for that meaning material online....too many obscure words without findable meanings in this one for me but it must be hard with such complexities.
138 of 161  -   Report This Post

thepost

6th November 2016, 16:48
rrrobbo

HERDEN = a coarse fabric made from hards:

HER = bird's
DEN = nest

I'm still looking for the suggested endgame that is so obvious that I shall kick myself!
139 of 161  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

6th November 2016, 17:13
Cheers. Also hoping to see the light others have missed but it seems unlikely. I have been musing on the grammar in the preamble. The positioning of the bracketed text suggests to me that the search area (and not the goal) is actually four consecutive letters in a straight line - but then I am not an authority on the placing of bracketed text. Furthermore, this does not help in the slightest!
140 of 161  -   Report This Post