CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crates

11th October 2016, 09:19
Agree with the sentiment. But presume the setter is using common in the sense 'vulgar,of low degree' (my other dictionary defines it as 'typical of low social class') ie Non-U
31 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

11th October 2016, 10:45
Without getting further into class war, I have heard of 'U' being used for 'Upper Class' and by extension, for 'socially acceptable', but I think my brain was confusing it for 'U' as used by the board of censors.

At least the question of Litmus is laid to rest...
32 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

11th October 2016, 22:58
So close! Can someone please explain the across clue with Kirks corpus? I have n??e
33 of 47  -   Report This Post

trackerpup

11th October 2016, 23:39
Think its "ana" with "ve" minus first a, part of church
34 of 47  -   Report This Post

supersub

12th October 2016, 12:34
Hi,
Can't work out: Shout about excellent pay once more.
and
Inattentive, replacing top of meat paste.
Any hints would be most welcome
Ray.
35 of 47  -   Report This Post

supersub

12th October 2016, 12:58
Not to worry...sorted
Ray
36 of 47  -   Report This Post

trackerpup

12th October 2016, 12:59
Inattentive is deaf, paste as in win a fight
Excellent is def
Answers 6 letters
37 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

12th October 2016, 16:48
Well, I'm done, subject to actually filling the real grid and asking my resident artist to do the fancy stuff. I have the three word title. What confuses me are the references here to Connolly, PEarce and Lit ms. The latter seems very obtuse if it means literary manuscript as a reference to the puzzle. Of course I see the connection, but still........I suppose it can't be too obvious though.

That diagonal symmetry was harder than it looked on paper. Well, of course it looked hard on paper, that's the point but....,,. Oh shut up man!
38 of 47  -   Report This Post

gem94

12th October 2016, 20:16
LIT is not an abbreviation,it's a synonym.

Think where the actual three word title is to be found, and CONNOLLY and PEARSE will make some sense, but you probably need fairly detailed local knowledge to get the full significance.
39 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

12th October 2016, 20:22
Hello rrRobbo,

You're entitled to ramble, I often do...
Connolly and Pearse are the DART stations either side of Trinity College, where the thematic 3 word title can be found. The men both died 100 years ago.

Finally, and I hope that I wasn't rude to Gem94, I recognised that 'Common' indicated 'Non-U.' So if you take LITMUS and subtract the 'U', perhaps you are left with Lit MS, demonstrating the 2 word description. Except that the Litmus test is not merely an acid test...
40 of 47  -   Report This Post