CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

djawhufc

10th October 2016, 13:14
I think unclued meant until he solved it he thought it began with an a rather than an r.
21 of 47  -   Report This Post

unclued

10th October 2016, 13:35
Thanks dja. I think rrobbo and I are at similar places. I'm enjoying it now I've got a foothold. How many large cells are there? There must be at least two.
22 of 47  -   Report This Post

wintonian

10th October 2016, 13:47
Unclued, you may be thinking that, because of the symmetry of the grid, there has to be an even number of large cells. But you could have a large cell lying on the NW-SE diagonal, and then it would be its own mirror image, as it were. So you can have an odd number of large cells in the complete grid. You could even have a single large cell, so long as it is on the NW-SE diagonal.
23 of 47  -   Report This Post

unclued

10th October 2016, 14:02
Thanks wintonian. I guess then there is a large cell in the centre of the grid.
24 of 47  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

10th October 2016, 14:06
Ha ha. I am guessing that there is just one and hoping that the light gets brighter with every clue I solve 8-)
25 of 47  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

10th October 2016, 17:23
Only one large cell (3x3) in my grid so have I made a mistake along the way ? Only one clue to solve which is the one that starts 'Begin to work......' which appears to be 'WELL' but at a loss to parse it . Last part of instruction also has me at a loss 'VEASAL IN LARGEST CELL' . Surely I must have something wrong there ! Frustrating to get so far ! Any hints appreciated.
26 of 47  -   Report This Post

unclued

10th October 2016, 17:46
Uncle w - it's versal (look up in Chambers).
27 of 47  -   Report This Post

wintonian

10th October 2016, 18:02
Hi, uncle-w, the answer to the clue you are after is the first letter of June, followed by the Hebrew month of Elul, without the U.
28 of 47  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

10th October 2016, 18:08
Thank you both for your help.
29 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

10th October 2016, 18:40
Thanks Gem94 and Xword. I wasn't being deliberately obtuse, simply confused. When I look up 'U', I get 'socially acceptable'; if society is predominantly common people, then socially acceptable is what is acceptable to common people. So common = U ? No ? If a fringe of society defines it otherwise, is that anything significant ? Thanks anyway :)
30 of 47  -   Report This Post