CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

9th October 2016, 06:43
I have 11 answers, mostly reasonably common words. However, what is going on with different sized squares? Does this mean that if, say, the top left corner is a 2x2 block (in normal square size), then answers on first two rows both begin with the letter in the large square (and similar for down answers)? It would also help to have the first two answers, as I might then spot the message. Thanks
1 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

9th October 2016, 08:05
Hi Dylan, you're very close. Positioning correct, size a tad small, assumption about continuation of entries correct. Clue 1 is a roman coin, the 'I' of Tacitus goes missing. Clue 2 is a glance with an abbreviation for apparently. The 'L' of cruel goes missing. Two-word description is (11,10). When you get it, it will be like a light came on.
2 of 47  -   Report This Post

dryden

9th October 2016, 09:07
Dylan, for what it's worth I found the across clues easier than the downs. You don't need that many of the extra letters to guess the two-word theme. I also found it easier to build the grid from the bottom up.
I'm not sure precisely what the instruction from the last set of extra letters is asking for. I hope anything that looks roughly appropriate will do. If something authentic is required I have no idea.
3 of 47  -   Report This Post

wintonian

9th October 2016, 10:27
Unlike Dryden, I found the down clues less difficult than the across ones, and it was only when I got the first across clue that things fell into place as regards the grid and the two-word description. However, I'm still not sure about the three-word title. Is this an example of the two-word description? I can come up with a plausible three-word title for a possible example of this thematic item (making use of all but one of the letters in the bottom row and a definite article from elsewhere in the grid), but my problem is that this isn't a generally used title for that particular work. Also, I've not got the significance of the puzzle's title yet.

At least this week's puzzle didn't take up all of Sunday, unlike last week's puzzle!
4 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

9th October 2016, 11:02
The last set of extra letters is really just an instruction, (6,2,7,4) which is obvious when understand the theme. The three-word title can be found somewhere between Connolly and Pearse, alternatively on another diagonal.

The puzzle title - all I can think of is Litmus, but a) the 'U' doesn't get used, and b) it is a test for acidity and alkalinity...
5 of 47  -   Report This Post

dryden

9th October 2016, 12:25
Yes, I understood the instruction, but it can be carried out in numerous ways. If there is one specific to the work I haven't found an example on the internet, which is why I hope anything will do apart from an unembellished character.
6 of 47  -   Report This Post

wintonian

9th October 2016, 12:42
Hi, Meursault, thanks, the book title popped right out of the grid as soon as I followed your hints.
7 of 47  -   Report This Post

gem94

9th October 2016, 12:58
The COMMON in the title could be used to explain the missing U
8 of 47  -   Report This Post

meursault

9th October 2016, 13:05
I'm not sure, Gem94. The title becomes U Litmus, so I now have 2 'U's which I can't do anything with...

I see what you are asking, Dryden. I really can't imagine that any chosen font or embellishment will be more correct than any other, though I would suggest that the letter should be as large as will fit, so as to demonstrate the theme.
9 of 47  -   Report This Post

gem94

9th October 2016, 13:35
Common equivalent to non-u?
10 of 47  -   Report This Post