CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lolly

6th May 2010, 03:41
Nite nite (are you screaming)J Hawkins,
'hope the Salty Dogs don't bite. x
41 of 46  -   Report This Post

terry

6th May 2010, 10:47
This is fun isn't it.
Bunting does meet the apparel requirement. As I said.....bag like garment worn by infants for sleeping. Available in a range of togs and colours from a Mothercare near you.
If I was doing this quiz my answer would be. "Bunting,unless the correct answer is Overall".
42 of 46  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

6th May 2010, 12:34
Great, Terry!
Have five bob each way.
Time will tell if we are correct.
43 of 46  -   Report This Post

sammy

6th May 2010, 13:34
Cor Blimey! Lol, we've even got an antipodean joining the party. Another sailor? Anyway, here's my tuppence worth. It looks to me as if the "bunting" theory and its supporting arguments are a shoal of red herrings dropped in to muddy the waters around this much debated warship.

ABTar pointed out back on page one that you don't dress a warship in bunting. And that the crossword setter's coy reference to the naval term is standard crossword fare - summed up succinctly in A's phrase "licence for irony".

I don't think the ambiguous "it" helps the case for bunting, even if it refers to the mast. A warship's mast is not dressed in bunting either.

And that's before you even get to the apparel question. I think it's straining a bit and stretching it to bring in the baby blanket or sleeping bag.

"Overall" is a garment (apparel) and the phrase is "dressed overall" so it's a typical crossword clue formulation and punning reference (even if a daft question) to ask if it (an overall, i.e. garment) is flying from the mast when a warship is "dressed overall". (Or the warship's mast if you prefer that reading of the ambiguous "it".)

(Is it flying from the warship's mast when it is dressed for a ceremonial occasion(7))

I'm sticking with Mrs Overall. But I'm keeping my pennies out of the betting, at least until we know the result of this election! Will be up all night tonight and no crosswording.

44 of 46  -   Report This Post

david

6th May 2010, 15:41
My question certainly stirred up some replies.
The quiz closes on May 29 so you will have to wait a while and I will try to remember to put the answer up for you.
Just another point this Quiz is from a Scottish setter and sometimes they have words that I am not too familiar with, so could it be something else other than overall or bunting?
Will just have to wait and see.
45 of 46  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

7th May 2010, 00:00
Is that a sporran I see hanging from the warship's mast?
46 of 46  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Apparel