CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

a.b.tar

5th May 2010, 22:45
Hi David
Please revisit this thread when you know the answer and settle this once and for all. Meanwhile, for the rest, 100 drachmas says it's 'overall'.
By the way, where has Sammi got to?
21 of 46  -   Report This Post

terry

5th May 2010, 22:49
ABT,

I'll raise your squillion drachmas to a virtual fiver. Payable in five instalments each due every other leap year.
22 of 46  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th May 2010, 22:52
Which answer do you prefer David?
23 of 46  -   Report This Post

mamya

5th May 2010, 23:05
Have only just seen this thread, mines in the envelope and just hope I`ve picked rightLOL
24 of 46  -   Report This Post

terry

5th May 2010, 23:12
Mamya,
Which of these two phrases makes sense.

1. Bunting is flying from the warship's mast when it is dressed for a ceremonial occasion.

2. Overall is flying from the warship's mast when it is dressed for a ceremonial occasion.
25 of 46  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th May 2010, 23:18
I've changed camp - definitely bunting!

maybe
26 of 46  -   Report This Post

a.b. tar

5th May 2010, 23:20
Methinks they doth protest too much. Can't bunting be flown on any ship anywhere anytime? But the clue specifies a warship and a ceremonial occasion. Finally,the use of the word dressed must clinch it for overall.
Your point really is pedantic Terry. You have to grant the setter some licence for irony.
27 of 46  -   Report This Post

terry

5th May 2010, 23:42
ABT,
You may well be right. I don't know what the answer is. All I am trying to say is that you can make a very good argument for overall and bunting. If you have chosen the wrong one and lose out because of that choice you would feel a bit cheesed off. The quiz setter could have avoided this by being a tad more careful.

Let's wait and see what the correct answer is (if we ever find out)and then say "I told you so" or "what a load of bollocks" as appropriate.
28 of 46  -   Report This Post

mamya

5th May 2010, 23:43
Well as all other answers have been apparel in the personal sense, I think its clear my answer is not bunting!
29 of 46  -   Report This Post

sammy

6th May 2010, 00:27
Hello, AB! I'm here - been busy with the election buzz etc. I have been highly amused and intrigued by this discussion and tickled at seeing a sailor and even the crew all involved in the great debate about a clue on the Solver forum. Are you a regular visitor to the forum?

This has started me thinking about a whole array of odd words,meanings and associations, including the character Mrs Overall - I just had an image of her pinny flying from the mast! Heh...

30 of 46  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Apparel