CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

a.b. tar

6th May 2010, 00:42
Hi Sammy
Thank goodness you're back! Until Mamya pitched in I was feeling pretty isolated (Ixion's wheel just keeps on turning).
Yes I come and go under various names, but just for fun. 'Dressed overall' was a new one on me though. When I looked it up after seeing your post it looked spot on but obviously not everyone agrees...
31 of 46  -   Report This Post

sammy

6th May 2010, 00:57
Well, it's intriguing, though I don't agree with some of the arguments that have been put forward...I will try to collect my thoughts and post later today or tomorrow.
32 of 46  -   Report This Post

mamya

6th May 2010, 02:03
Mrs Overall LOL
33 of 46  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

6th May 2010, 02:22
I think it's time for a voice from the antipodes to adjudicate this lively and entertaining debate which raged on as I slept.
In the words, "dressed overall" the word overall is an adverb in that it describes how the mast is dressed. What we are seeking is a word to replace "it" a pronoun ... and "it" appears twice in the clue. Hence, the noun "bunting" seems more appropriate.
For what it's worth, my money's on bunting.
I think you all deserve an extra a round of rum for your efforts, so let's splice the mainbrace and weigh anchor on this one.
34 of 46  -   Report This Post

lolly

6th May 2010, 02:32
doesn't the 2nd "it" refer to - "it,the warship"?
35 of 46  -   Report This Post

lolly

6th May 2010, 02:48
I'll have a Greek dollar on Overall
ie. Is it-full dressing(dressed overall)-flying from the warship's mast when it-(the warship)-is dressed for a ceremonial occasion
36 of 46  -   Report This Post

j hawkins

6th May 2010, 02:52
Gorblimee guys, AB is right. It's not an exercise in parsing Kook, IT'S A QUIZ. And not just nautical, it's specifically NAVAL - warship - so it's a naval expression that's indicated, and one that includes the word dressed, else why mention it in the clue? Bunting on the other hand gets hung on all sorts of things ships, shops, and Christmas trees for heaven's sake and you have to go some to stretch it to mean something you wear. To paraphrase Terry, if bunting is the answer it's a really rubbish clue, whereas overall tick every box.
37 of 46  -   Report This Post

kookaburra

6th May 2010, 03:00
I see both pronouns as referring to the warship's mast, the cynosure of all eyes as the vessel makes its return to home port after a victorious stoush at sea.
Nevertheless, I have been known to be shot down in flames on other attempts to add to this forum. Fortunately, all the big guns seem to be silent at this time.

38 of 46  -   Report This Post

lolly

6th May 2010, 03:12
Corblimey mate - David said Apparel not "specifically naval".
Also,I don't see any reason why the 2nd "it" doesn't refer to warship.

both answers seem valid but i think overall,Overall,seems more likely.
39 of 46  -   Report This Post

j hawkins

6th May 2010, 03:21
Yes Lolly, Apparel could range from a spacesuit to a bearskin. I meant that the clue, by its use of the word warship, points to a naval expression as the answer. 'Dress overall' is a naval expression and so fits the bill whereas 'Bunting' isn't and doesn't. I've just checked Chambers and can't find a definition of bunting that includes apparel, not that I expected to.
That said I agree with you about the two its.
Anyway, I'm off to my hammock now, busy day tomorrow.
40 of 46  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Apparel