CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

4th May 2010, 17:44
I don't doubt that the sailor boys are right. But it is a crap clue.
If the question is "is it flying from......the mast when it is dressed" then,the answer should be the "it",that which is actually flying,i.e.flags,bunting,whatever. I don't imagine someone's overalls take pride of place.
11 of 46  -   Report This Post

a.b.tar

4th May 2010, 17:53
Hello Terry
You also don't seem to have heard the term before.
As I said, apposite and instructive. We should all be grateful to Sammy for getting it right first time.

Best,

ABT
12 of 46  -   Report This Post

terry

4th May 2010, 18:06
Hello to you,ABT.

You're absolutely right,this is a new one to me. Dressing ship,dressing overall,full dressing. I'm only surprised that in this day and age there is no mention of Cross dressing, which must be very popular in some quarters.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum.
13 of 46  -   Report This Post

jimc

4th May 2010, 18:44
Hi ABT.

Me again.

I was already very familiar with the maritime phrase 'dress overall'.

When I saw Sammy's answer 'overall' (which may be the right answer in the mind of the quiz complier, for all I know) it didn't seem to fit the clue very well - so I suggested 'bunting' (which has the double-meaning of a bird which can fly and flags used to dress a ship). However, perhaps the clue wasn't as cryptic as I had thought.

Also, as I said before, if the quiz answer must only be human attire, then 'bunting' would not be correct.

BW.
JimC
14 of 46  -   Report This Post

david

5th May 2010, 20:03
Well this has bought in a lot of discussion.
The quiz has 30 questions of which I have answered 29 of them with human apparel so would presume the final one would be also.
Thanks for the trouble you have all been to to try to help me
15 of 46  -   Report This Post

helena

5th May 2010, 21:41
bunting is a form of apparel - a blanket for a baby with a hood, as in "bye, baby bunting"
16 of 46  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th May 2010, 22:00
looks like overall

dress ship, to, to deck out a vessel with flags for a ceremonial occasion. A ship can be either dressed overall or with flags at the masthead. A ship is only dressed overall in harbour while masthead flags are normally worn when under way in, or in the vicinity of, a harbour, though it is allowed as an alternative to dressing overall if the vessel does not have dressing lines
17 of 46  -   Report This Post

terry

5th May 2010, 22:24
The answer to the quiz question may be meant to be "overall" but the clue is poorly phrased. The question as posed clearly asks "what is it that is flying from the mast when it is dressed"? Bunting is a logical answer to the actual question. Overall isn't.

Bunting is (among other things)defined as "a bag like garment worn by infants for sleeping. Whether or not Overall is the correct answer,Bunting is a better one, if you follow me.
18 of 46  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th May 2010, 22:36
yes I agree - it's certainly debatable!
19 of 46  -   Report This Post

andy

5th May 2010, 22:36
I think that Helena and Terry are correct as bunting seems more apt than overalls
20 of 46  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Apparel