CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

david

4th May 2010, 13:45
28. Is it flying from the warship's mast when it is dressed for a ceremonial occasion (7)
1 of 46  -   Report This Post

sammy

4th May 2010, 13:53
Could it be OVERALL?

(As in "dressing overall", a Naval term.)
2 of 46  -   Report This Post

jimc

4th May 2010, 15:28
Hi David.

It might be bunting which is the name of a bird and also the name given to decorative flags flown from ships.

JimC
3 of 46  -   Report This Post

jolan

4th May 2010, 16:13
Brilliant, JimC. You're 'spot on'. I tried earlier, but just couldn't 'see' it.
4 of 46  -   Report This Post

david

4th May 2010, 16:14
The quiz title is apparel and all my other answers have been something one could wear so do not think bunting would be correct.
Thanks for trying
5 of 46  -   Report This Post

a.b.tar

4th May 2010, 16:28
Sammy is correct with overall.
6 of 46  -   Report This Post

the judge

4th May 2010, 16:32
If OVERALL is the answer ... the clue is pretty poor indeed.
7 of 46  -   Report This Post

a.b. tar

4th May 2010, 16:36
Since 'dressing overall' is the nautical term for a warship flying the appropriate flags for a ceremonial occasion the clue is both apposite and instructive.
8 of 46  -   Report This Post

jimc

4th May 2010, 16:42
Hi again.

At the risk of being thought pedantic, 'apparel' can refer to clothing or dress for humans and non-humans. I just looked it up in Chambers dictionary and it even has an archaic meaning of (a ship's?) 'rigging'.

So, for example, a ship can be 'dressed overall' (as Sammy pointed out) with bunting. A tree can have an apparel of foliage. Etc...

I don't know the context of David's quiz, so possibly only human apparel is acceptable particularly if all other answers have been human clothing.

BW.
JimC
9 of 46  -   Report This Post

a.b. tar

4th May 2010, 17:35
Hello Jimc
Be honest now, if you had been familiar with the naval term 'dress overall' in the context of a warship flying the correct flags on a ceremonial occasion would you have gone for the generic 'bunting' rather than the specific 'overall'?
Warships don't 'dress overall with bunting' as you say, they just 'dress overall'.
I've had a word with the crew here and we're all willing to put good money on this if you're interested.
As to pedantry, isn't that why we're all here?

10 of 46  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Apparel