CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

escuan

20th April 2016, 22:55
....and I've now discovered the original answer to 8 across. I was confused and thinking the original answer was the one in OED and so bypassed the obvious answer to the clue. I'd made the same mistake with 2 down.
61 of 67  -   Report This Post

adelaide

21st April 2016, 20:51
Ok after much struggle I think Ive got it - except 2 dn but that shouldnt be a problem - but can anyone explain the title and any special reason for the theme? Is there a crunchy letter mix in the title I can't see ? Also is there any connection between the original answer and the final one ?
62 of 67  -   Report This Post

meursault

21st April 2016, 22:40
I think the title refers to the thematic items not conforming to gravity. There's no connection I can see between the original and final answers to the rogue clues. Wikipedia has an alphabetic list of cultivars.
63 of 67  -   Report This Post

barretter

21st April 2016, 22:43
Well the way the rogues are going is against the expectation of the theory named in the second part of the message. Remember the traditional story of how the person who discovered the theory thought of it.
The "original" of 2dn was revealed very early on in this thread but I am still puzzled by what the "originals" of 8dn, 16dn and 18dn were. Any hints would be welcomed for the sake of completeness.
64 of 67  -   Report This Post

meursault

21st April 2016, 22:56
I had OLINGOS for 18, but didn't bother solving the other two.
65 of 67  -   Report This Post

escuan

21st April 2016, 23:45
8dn is BRAMBLE (extra letter I) and 16dn is CLASSES (extra letter H). I still think the preamble was misleading in that it definitely implies that it was only in the non-rogue clues that the extra letter appeared in the wordplay. Otherwise why write "other" in the second sentence?
66 of 67  -   Report This Post

barretter

22nd April 2016, 15:43
Thanks Meursault and Escuan. A shame, perhaps, that the extra letters in the "rogue" clues didn't spell the category of the "rogue" cultivars.
67 of 67  -   Report This Post