CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

19th April 2016, 08:45
word for mingle ( with an X removed)+ word for parasites= french WW2 collaborators. Final answer is M----E
31 of 67  -   Report This Post

crates

19th April 2016, 09:58
Midgers - 25A -first 3 letters synonym for bag then 2 identical two letter words for 'exactly what is needed (1 letter removed) plus anagram of tea.
32 of 67  -   Report This Post

binks

19th April 2016, 11:31
Very tough this one.
14a Get the word play but answer is a noun - not sure how is that "a religious"?
25a Think I get "brewing tea" part and extra letter must be I but "double just what is wanted in bag"?
28d Get the answer is a trick but can't work out the rest at all.
Any hints welcome thanks

33 of 67  -   Report This Post

binks

19th April 2016, 11:32
Sorry 25a already explained earlier today
34 of 67  -   Report This Post

escuan

19th April 2016, 12:34
Am finding this very tough. Hints for 16 (across & down), 30, and 21 & 22 down might get me restarted. The hint for 25 across has me baffled as there is only one word I can find with the double 2-letter word followed by anagram of tea, and its first 3 letters aren't a bag and the word has nothing to do with leaves.
35 of 67  -   Report This Post

barretter

19th April 2016, 13:04
16 down is one of the "rogues" so there isn't really a definition in the clue. 16 across is an antique word, the extra letter is T. Think of the Latin version of 4. I don't yet understand how 30 across works but the first three words are the definition. 2! down : the last word of the clue is the definition ; think of a cigarette and remove its first letter. 22 down is another rogue. 25 across look at the definitions of "bag" as a verb in Chambers.
I have a snake as the answer to 29 across but don't understand it at all ; and I don't know what the extra letter is in 23 across ; nor do I understand why the extra letters are what I presume them to be in 25 and 28 down.
36 of 67  -   Report This Post

barretter

19th April 2016, 13:08
I understand 25 down now : it's an aleatory reference.
37 of 67  -   Report This Post

olivercardo

19th April 2016, 13:08
Hi Escuan,

16a - old, obscure word for "cracked". Anagram of two letters of try, plus a common two-letter abbreviation for 4, and abbreviation for down
16d - this one is thematic, but for the "original" answer, think four-letter word for girl in a well-known three-letter word revolutionary, dropping a letter, with an s. Definition is lectures.
30a - first three words are definition. Nurse is TEND.
21 - think the last bit bit of a cigarette
22 - thematic clue, but "original" answer" is a two-letter abbreviation for gold inside a five-letter word (losing a letter) that begins with F.

Really tough this one. I still can't parse 20d or 28d (not looking for hints, but it's just annoying me).
38 of 67  -   Report This Post

binks

19th April 2016, 13:21
25a I got the word before the wordplay. It means shaped like an arrow. The first three letters mean to droop. In the double 2-letter word part of the wordplay, one letter is the extra one to be removed.
21d The answer is a well known word for a schedule. The last useless bit is something you see discarded on pavements everywhere. The extra letter you remove is the first letter of this and put the a on the end.
16a is very obscure to me. I only got it once I worked out the rogues. Obsolete past participle of a word to crack or split. "4 down" does not refer in any way to the answer or clue to 4d which also confused me when I got the obvious (but wrong) answer there.
39 of 67  -   Report This Post

crates

19th April 2016, 13:25
binks - from your earlier post - 'religious' is also a noun
40 of 67  -   Report This Post