CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dylan

16th April 2016, 10:12
I've done most of the bottom half, but top left corner is still virtually empty. Also, I've still no sense of the message, except that it includes IXT. Any offers?
1 of 67  -   Report This Post

jim360

16th April 2016, 12:36
I'm finding this one almost impossible to get into for some reason. Hoping the light will dawn soonish... sorry I can't help, unless you are missing 2 or 4dn in the top left? But then those are the easier ones, I think...
2 of 67  -   Report This Post

dylan

16th April 2016, 13:23
Why is 2d mentioned in the preamble? Seems a perfectly normal word, not just in OED.
3 of 67  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

16th April 2016, 13:38
i have danger for 2d but could well be wrong!
4 of 67  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

16th April 2016, 13:39
18d (extra S) & 30a (extra R?) seem normal but they clash so I must be wrong somewhere!?
5 of 67  -   Report This Post

dryden

16th April 2016, 14:32
EVERY clue has an extra letter in the wordplay, and EVERY clue yields an answer that is a normal word. The tricky bit is that six of them are rogues - the extra letters don't count and the entries are different. You have to keep solving until you can identify the rogues.
6 of 67  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

16th April 2016, 14:37
The preamble doesn't say EVERY clue has extra letters....
i read the preamble to say in "other" clues there is extra letter so there is no extra in the 6 rogues?
7 of 67  -   Report This Post

meursault

16th April 2016, 14:52
Xwordfan, I think Dryden has described accurately what's going on. Every clue has an extra letter. But in the 6 rogue clues the extra letter isn't used for the advice. Eventually you'll be able to identify the rogue clues, either through clashes, or through the extra letter not making any sense to the narrative...
8 of 67  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

16th April 2016, 15:00
Thanks Meursault for making "things clearer".
9 of 67  -   Report This Post

dryden

16th April 2016, 17:01
I don't think I could have made things any clearer without spelling out the solution. My use of capital letters was intended to emphasise that all the clues do, contrary to appearances from the preamble, have an extra letter. The preamble may mislead, but it is not incompatible with what I said, thus it is not unfairly misleading.
10 of 67  -   Report This Post