CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

elle

19th August 2018, 22:00
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, we are looking forward to the family coming!
I have been trying to arrange outings /plans etc for the week.....
I'd hoped to get all the cousins together, but I don't think that will be possible this visit.
Perhaps it as well - six children all at once?
My cousin and I were only saying tonight that whereas our minds still think as thirty- year-olds, our bodies sadly do not have matching energy!
Did you get chance to watch the programme that you recorded about the west coast of Ireland?
22551 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

19th August 2018, 22:34
Hi, Rusty!
Ah, now that is another expression that I must try to throw into the conversation......
Along with "petrichor"!
I recorded the programme, too, but have not yet had time to watch it.
My younger daughter and family are planning a holiday in Ireland, possibly next year.
Her husband 's mother came from Waterford, and there is still family living around there.
So they are considering catching up with family, whilst "touring" to see something of the country.
I have told her about "The Wild Atlantic Way" and sent her the link!
22552 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

20th August 2018, 09:52
Good morning, Rusty!
I am sorry about your rain! although perhaps you are glad of it......
It is sunny and bright here! Warm though already.
I see we both answered the Everyman question at the same time!
I liked Val Doonican.......and his rocking chair!
I think daughter is only planning a quick visit to relatives she has not yet met...….the rest of the trip will be an "exploration"!
But I rather think this is planned for the year after next...as I have a feeling she told me they had re-booked a holiday in the Netherlands for next summer?
22553 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

20th August 2018, 12:09
Hi rusty
I have been to County Clare many times and love it. Not sure if Ballyvaughan is in Co Clare or Galway, but we camped on the edge (in a field with no facilities!) several times. It is truly a lovely place (the field!) with a spit right out into the Atlantic and near the Burren for the most amazing wild flowers (and ferns, chrise!) The sea there is very cold and dangerous.
Lisdoonvarna. In 1983 no fewer than 8 young men were drowned when they tried to swim in the sea there during the music festival, which is why it is no more. Undercurrents were held to blame. 3 of the 8 were brothers, which is difficult to imagine.
The cliffs of Moher are absolutely outstanding, both for scenery and birds.
22554 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

20th August 2018, 12:14
Hi, Rusty!
It is warmer outside than it is indoors......
I was out without a jacket.....I might go and find my cardigan in a minute!
Elder daughter phoned earlier...the air conditioning has gone on her car... the mechanic supposedly fixed it last week!
She has to take the car back to the garage at 2pm, by which time a spare part will have arrived!
That will then take an hour and a half to fix...
So goodness knows what tine they will get here!
Early evening?
Yes, if I see any lovelorn farmers wandering about, I will direct them to Lisdoonvarna!
22555 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

20th August 2018, 14:19
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, a reasonable puzzle......I actually finished, all bar one parse!
At first though, I seemed to be making no headway at all.....and then, all of a sudden, I was up and running!
I especially liked 12a: hectoring; 17a: Minnesota: and 22a: Firth
Oh, and 15d: "out of step"........I thought that was a good clue?
I hadn't heard of the term "soft power", had you?
I got "soft" from the parsing, but "power" only came from the crossers.
Now can you explain 10a , please?
I guarantee I rejected further broadcast about son (7)
I have "insurer" (guarantee) from the crossers, but cannot see why?
My daughter is going to ring me once the car is fixed, and before they set out on their journey ( which will take them about three hours)
22556 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

20th August 2018, 15:17
Hi, Rusty!
Ah, thank you!
I would never have got that parsing, without your help.
Yes, it is quite a long journey from the Midlands to here...well, perhaps not so far for my daughter or her husband...but my own husband will no longer drive that distance ...which is why we do not go to visit them, but leave it for them to come here every school holiday!
Their trips down South always seem to be fraught with some problem or other...only fairly recently, if you remember, they had the wing of their car ripped off by a passing lorry!
Fortunately no one was hurt - save the car - and the lorry driver didn't even stop!
Yes, hopefully, they will have a safe journey this afternoon!
22557 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

20th August 2018, 19:19
Hi, Rusty!
Update...oh dear...….
When our daughter took the car in at 2 pm for the part to be fitted, she was told that the total cost - part plus labour - would be £800!
That is dreadfully expensive, isn't it?
So she went back home with the car , phoning round to see if the air -conditioning can be fixed more cheaply elsewhere..
But it seems that the replacement part is £400.......so the overall cost is still bound to be dear, even if they can get cheaper labour.
The upshot is that her husband will continue to look into the problem, whilst she and the boys drive here tomorrow in the car without air- conditioning!
Our previous car, the Renault, didn't have air- conditioning......
We survived!
I am sure they will do the same!
We shall see them around lunch time tomorrow!
22558 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

20th August 2018, 20:50
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, I agree - I think my daughter was very wise to remove the car and look elsewhere.
Like you, we have a friend who owns a garage locally , so he does all our repairs etc., and we know we won't be ripped off.
She, unfortunately, doesn't have that option , so took the car back to Nissan.
I guess opening the windows on the motorway is not a viable option, but she can use the air vents.
We managed for years without an air-conditioning facility in our car!
I have a hair appointment for a trim, in the morning....hopefully, they will have had an uneventful and safe journey, and be here by the time I come home.
22559 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

20th August 2018, 22:45
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, a good idea......I can certainly suggest that....
I do not know, though, at the moment, what our son-in law may have arranged.
We shall see what tomorrow brings!
Goodness , I am tired......I shall be away to my bed very shortly.
I'll say goodnight......talk tomorrow......
22560 of 30765  -   Report This Post