CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rusty

17th August 2018, 20:36
Hello, Elle!
That "kettle" is not in my old Chambers, but I have seen it used on the News several times, when police are confining demonstrators to prevent them marching.
Could be, I suppose, that it is only a Scottish term?
Is it not in your much newer Chambers?
I have looked up "tombola" in Chambers, and it states that winning tickets are drawn from a revolving drum, I think.
So, the clue looks fine?

Hello, Malone!
Yes, your "tombola" parse makes good sense.
I should have looked it up in the dictionary earlier!
22521 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th August 2018, 20:40
I don't know the clue, but "kettling" was a controversial police tactic used against protests in London some years ago....
22522 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

17th August 2018, 20:41
Rusty, glad you got the tombola sorted. 'Kettle' (as in forming a cordon) isn't in my 12th edition Chambers, but is in the revised 13th. It's not given as Scottish.
22523 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

17th August 2018, 20:42
Update, Elle!
I have Chambers Dictionary on an app on my 'phone.
I looked up "kettle" and one definition is,
"an enclosed area created by cordons of police officers to control public protesters."
22524 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

17th August 2018, 20:48
Rusty, isn't it good that language evolves to keep up with current events? I'm not a fan of all new words, of course, but it's interesting at times!
22525 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th August 2018, 20:51
Hi malone
Yes, but I would make a distinction between words taking on new meanings, and words with different meanings becoming interchangeable. I find the latter so aggravating...
22526 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

17th August 2018, 20:54
Hello, Malone!
Posts are crossing!
Yes, I like to see the language evolve.
I keep forgetting my Chambers app!
I got it several years ago from Google Play Store and it is very good.
I wonder how they came up with "kettle" for confinement?
22527 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

17th August 2018, 20:55
ChrisE, you're ever so slightly aggravating with your aggravating! (The real meaning is and always has been known to me.)
22528 of 30765  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th August 2018, 21:00
I know, malone!

My greatest bete noire is "epicentre". It is used incorrectly by pretentious pr**s for whom the correct "centre" isn't polysyllabic enough. I once heard a BBC (!) report on an earthquake where the reporter said "the epicentre was 5 kilometres below the surface"!
22529 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

17th August 2018, 21:13
Hi, Rusty!
I have just looked up "kettle"....
Now my "flawed" 13th edition of Chambers gives me exactly the same definition as does your tenth edition of Chambers.......
But interestingly , Brewers offers a totally new slant on the word!
Brewers says...
"As well as meaning the vessel used for boiling water and cooking, the word is old thieves' slang for a watch.
A tin kettle is a silver watch, a red kettle is a gold one"
Now I 'll bet you didn't know that?

I didn't know that a tombola involved a drum.......
My only experience with the word has been at school fairs where one buys a ticket in the "tombola" ( it is simply handed to you on receipt of the money) and then the number is matched to an item on the table!
Obviously a misnomer!
22530 of 30765  -   Report This Post