CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kilgore trout

8th February 2015, 13:45
If you read this site's rules:

http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/rules

it's pretty clear that the AB thread would have been removed by this site's "thought police". Both AB and this site are advertising-supported businesses (not public forums) whose owners can delete any thread they choose.

Fortunately there is a happy equilibrium: those who wish to give help on a current puzzle can come here, those who wish to discuss how the puzzle made them feel can go to AB, and if there is a desired third way, someone can start their own ad-supported forum to discuss it there.

But why all the acrimony? If the energy devoted to discussing this over the past few weeks had been directed towards feeding the hungry, world peace, or talking a long walk in the woods, what a wonderful world it would be.
11 of 83  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

8th February 2015, 13:57
For those who can laugh about these things:

http://xkcd.com/386/
12 of 83  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th February 2015, 14:45
Thank you, kt, for that refreshing wind!
13 of 83  -   Report This Post

grumble

8th February 2015, 15:34
I struggle with the Listener. I am learning and it was someone on AB gave me my first nudge albeit through the private email route.

If I need help I come here. If I want to see how quickly some can do it, I go to AB!
14 of 83  -   Report This Post

escuan

8th February 2015, 15:37
I said in an earlier post that I was struggling with Augeas. I still am, and would be grateful for a nudge on 3 and 13 down. I just can't find words that fit the clues.
15 of 83  -   Report This Post

jim360

8th February 2015, 15:42
Thanks for the balanced kilgore trout. The acrimony the whole thing has generated is totally out of proportion. Both approaches have their place, and merits, and it's wrong for it to degenerate into a cliquish mentality.
16 of 83  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

8th February 2015, 15:51
Escuan,
3d is an anagram with the letters of "iron" removed.
13d also an anagram including i for imagine and subsequent words. One of the T words is the extra one to be removed.
17 of 83  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

8th February 2015, 15:53
3d it's an anagram of oilchangetry without iron - defn at the front
13d think of languages
18 of 83  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

8th February 2015, 16:31
Coming late to the fray this week I'm intrigued by all the talk of acrimony on AB. It seems a shame that people can't just get along, but look at what happened to Jack Nicholson as President of the USA when he suggested that to the Martians.

My problem with Two's Company is how to enter the letters: diagonally in every cell (even where it's not necessary), or a mixture of diagonal with vertical or horizontal when they are obviously unambiguous? What about the corners?

Of course, the ambiguity in Sabre's 'Coincidence' was resolved by allowing a free-for-all. Perhaps that will happen again.
19 of 83  -   Report This Post

escuan

8th February 2015, 17:10
Thank you, Cloverjo and Sudokulover.
20 of 83  -   Report This Post