CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

escuan

2nd December 2014, 23:16
Does anyone have any idea what the "Real" title is?
41 of 55  -   Report This Post

turast

3rd December 2014, 03:06
If you split the actual title cryptically
Stiff = 3 letter word for steal from
Listener-like = 4 letter word for pertaining to the ear
Special = 1 letter abbreviation
The whole word will replace the last word in the source and it's a word much more often associated with the author.
42 of 55  -   Report This Post

planks

3rd December 2014, 13:35
I have given up any notion of finishing this but still look at it in idle moments. Can anyone give me a hint (not the answer please) to 18dn? I think it is the last 'normal' clue and I just can't get it. Once I get that I think that's me done for this week.
43 of 55  -   Report This Post

unclued

3rd December 2014, 16:59
Planks - 18dn. Two letter abbreviation for active duty followed by a 3 letter commander and two different letters for 50. The whole thing is a flagship.
Can anyone help with the answer to 19dn?
44 of 55  -   Report This Post

planks

3rd December 2014, 18:45
Doh! I had no idea that meant flagship, obvious now I know. Thanks for that, I wish I could help with 19dn but that's one of the several that have eluded me.
45 of 55  -   Report This Post

turast

4th December 2014, 03:07
19Down
1st Definition St Andrews Brainbox. Try CRANIUM in Bradfords. Changed word is FLU(T)TER
2nd Definition = pieces left over
Changed word is (I)CE. Here it is used in the euphemistic, Mafia sense of kill. You need a three letter synonym often employed with bump in this context. Then a 3 letter word for dumped, in the sense that a scene might be in the edit of a film. Then a one letter abbreviation for Sabbath
The maths works with the resulting native of an Italian port on the Ligurian sea.

46 of 55  -   Report This Post

turast

4th December 2014, 03:13
PS
I absolutely hated this puzzle. Very over-indulgent of the setter. Far too many of the definitions were too loose. I got all of the solutions (eventually).
If anyone needs any more hints contact me
stuarttiffin@yahoo.com
47 of 55  -   Report This Post

unclued

4th December 2014, 22:46
I have spent most of the week on this crossword (or should that be wasted my time?) and have nearly got there! I just need a bit more help with 6 and the first part of 7. I think the final answers are sea star and Osiris and I have sherry for part of 7. After this marathon I'm going to need a few sherries. Thanks for any guidance with these two.
48 of 55  -   Report This Post

highlighter

4th December 2014, 23:01
Hi Unclued,

6...The first clue definition is 'animal physiology'. You need a four letter word for 'haste' around a 2 letter word for 'by' with the medieval Roman numeral for 150.
Second clue definition is 'organs'. 1 letter for quietly 'filling' 2 letters for 'small line' followed by an obsolete word for 'cut' backwards.

7...First part. Definition is dirk. You need a 3 letter word for Spenser's 'have' and a 3 letter word for drink.

You are correct with your assumptions...

Hope that helps...
49 of 55  -   Report This Post

turast

5th December 2014, 02:51
7 Down
Definition = Dirk's like. Something like a dirk.
Ed's BeAR = han (have in Spenser)
Drink = JAR
50 of 55  -   Report This Post