CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dryden

2nd December 2014, 13:46
Ionacar, further to my last message, the first part of 17ac is to be found in Bradford's, if you have that. The clue is a double definition.
31 of 55  -   Report This Post

demeter

2nd December 2014, 14:02
I'm still struggling to determine the source. I presume the quote is "The 3 F********L R***S ** A********C", but I can't find this anywhere, and can't make much sense of the letters that might misprint the normal clues, apart from something like "R*******D BY ... "
32 of 55  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

2nd December 2014, 14:18
Dryden, I've been using Bradford's throughout (though often finding it unable to help), so I can't fathom why I didn't identify that final entry in it sooner, esp as I had EYES from very early on! Thank you! No doubt the reverse maths will reveal the other answer, but no time just now.

Demeter, sorry to be unbearably smug, but I actually cracked the title before even looking at the clues! (Yes, I know...) The existing title is what Don Manley's book calls a 'charade'. If you then use the true title to replace the alteration in the thematic quote, you should experience a series of PDMs. Good luck!
33 of 55  -   Report This Post

dryden

2nd December 2014, 15:29
Demeter, if you have solved the normal clues you should be able to determine the misprints for 22ac, 27ac and 30ac because each has only one possibilty. 33ac has 3 possibilities, but you happen to have picked the right one (D). You might then see which of the two possibilities for 16ac is likely.
In the quote, the problem is that your last word is of no help because that's the word that's been changed.

34 of 55  -   Report This Post

dryden

2nd December 2014, 15:38
Demeter, when you've back-solved the second part of17ac I'll be interested to know whether you think it's fair. I think it breaches Listener guidelines because there should be a Germanic indicator in there, and, as I said earlier, treès or trèes is not a recognizable word. The preamble should have added "ignoring diacritical marks" after "leave real words behind."
35 of 55  -   Report This Post

demeter

2nd December 2014, 16:51
Aha, I've finally seen the light.

Dryden, I'll report back when I've finally managed to parse 17A.
36 of 55  -   Report This Post

planks

2nd December 2014, 19:01
I am about to throw in the towel. I have the quote and source but, despite all the assistance above find life too short to do the final bits of cold solving and then arithmetical manipulation. 1d and 31a have me completely stumped.
37 of 55  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

2nd December 2014, 19:32
Dryden, 'twas I who referred to the back-solving of 17ac, now completed. I agree entirely with your complaint. I'd never have solved it without the mathematical 'way in' provided by knowing the answer to the first part - not least because the usually reliable Bradford doesn't show the word under wraparound, clothing or even garment!

What a trial this has been. Many thanks to all who've provided hints without ever giving the game away completely; and I hope I've been able to do the same.

I'm a relative newcomer to this site and am pleased that fair play has been followed. Knowing that I've had to work out every single thing even after receiving hints makes me confident that cheating has not occurred and I shall therefore submit my entry as per usual.
38 of 55  -   Report This Post

cockie

2nd December 2014, 21:46
Hi guys - having started this thread I've been away from internet connection for 3 days. I still have 6 doubles to go, and it looks like from reading the replies that the mutilated words are these. 24A caned, type; 29A ye, maids (got the second half); 32A patter, saic (if it's what I think it is then "up" is a bit of a stretch for an anagrind); 15D ?, ? (this seems to be a lot less tricky that I'm finding it - I think the second word is the opposite of "rare", but I can't parse it); 19D CE, fluter (is Aphra Aphra Benn? or is there another Aphra of whom I wot not?); 25D commander (done that half), weight. Is the def here weight or Hood? And for the life of me I can't work out the "Real" title, even with the charade hint. Ah well.
39 of 55  -   Report This Post

cockie

2nd December 2014, 22:58
Just shows what 2 hours and 5 Sibelius symphonies can do - only 2 doubles to go (15D and 19D - can't begin to see what's going on), but both have only one possible answer. But the title ... still nothing. A hint to mikeyqq@btinternet.com would be welcome (together with parsing assistance for the two above).
40 of 55  -   Report This Post