CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

24th September 2013, 20:26
Sorry - I have the cell and the pence, but could somebody please explain the rest?
31 of 57  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

24th September 2013, 20:30
Superb clue

King is Rex
32 of 57  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th September 2013, 20:31
A cell, Rex and pence are the component parts.
33 of 57  -   Report This Post

jolan

24th September 2013, 20:35
Well said, Trevor (at present I'm sharpening my horns). Excellent :) final explanation. Good also ginge, Chrise and Jazzy. Thanks for the nice comments. Here is my working:-

1. smashing! = magic!; reprimand = carpet; MAGIC CARPET = air transporter

2. a lock-up = a cell; king’s in a dungeon = a (Rex) cell; coppers = pence (say = e.g. because copper = a coin {not necessarily a penny}). p {a (Rex) cell} ence = PAR EXCELLENCE = (colloq) wicked {Chambers Thes}. Chambers Dictionary has wicked = excellent and par excellence (adv) = as an example of excellence.

3. car(t); lass = bird (slang: Chambers Thes); las(car)s = LASCARS = Oriental sailors (Chambers).

4. ask = bid; Indian chief = I; BIDI = a cheap thin Indian cigarette (smoke)

5. anag(with abuse) of “serial’s afire” = LAISSER-FAIRE (adj) = permissive (first synonym offered in Chambers Thesaurus; alternative spelling of “laissez-faire” in Chambers Dict).
34 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th September 2013, 20:36
Thanks to both.

Definition a bit cheeky, jolan?

It reminds me of the old question - "Why did Michael Jackson call his album 'Bad'?"
"Because he couldn't spell 'Appalling'!"
35 of 57  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th September 2013, 20:37
not sure that the 'say' was needed at the end? was Aristo at a disadvantage on this (coppers = pence) ?
great clue tho. i didn't get #4 either.
36 of 57  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

24th September 2013, 20:44
I wonder why you are sharpening your horns, Jolan .
Are you intending locking antlers in the park? Lol
37 of 57  -   Report This Post

ginge

24th September 2013, 20:47
I have to admit I got #4 wrong, I convinced myself "arti" was correct quite early on and didn't look for an alternative
38 of 57  -   Report This Post

trevor

24th September 2013, 20:52
i did consider begi for #4. barking up the right tree but didn't know it.
39 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

24th September 2013, 20:55
I got much further than that, trevor - begi, aski (and several others that I seem to have forgotten)
40 of 57  -   Report This Post