CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

emrach

5th March 2013, 14:49
Sorry for any confusion - probably should read predominantly. I just added ly to predominate to be honest - but it is out there!
11 of 46  -   Report This Post

les40

5th March 2013, 15:27
Don't worry Emrach, like I said on the earlier post, it didn't look right to me but after checking in Chambers, it is the word that is fair.
I wonder if anyone else was enlightened by this what looks like an anomaly but in fact is correct.
12 of 46  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

5th March 2013, 16:18
That's odd - my Chambers (12) doesn't have predominately at all!

13 of 46  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

5th March 2013, 16:21
Must say to be honest I don't follow the discussion on this little point: on p. 1224 of my Chambers (11th Ed.) it says "predominANTly" quite clearly,and gives "predominATE" as verb & as rare variant of the other one as adjective, but not as adverb! not that I care two hoots,frankly, but maybe there's been some slight misunderstanding...
More important: I loved the puzzle, found it much easier this vtime tho' bigger than the last one, and even my not-quite-so-certain ones I'm now sure of. Congratulations to all, and especially to Les once again on getting us all together so brilliantly: there's nothing quite like a JE !!!
14 of 46  -   Report This Post

jws

5th March 2013, 18:00
well done Les and all.

Will get started asap before I forget the clues I did
15 of 46  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th March 2013, 23:09
Finished I think...the wordplay of one of peterms still eludes me though
16 of 46  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

6th March 2013, 03:03
Finally got to this, and have finished. I think I know which one you mean, ixion, and I think I get it now. I'm a bit worried about having solved AB's clues first.
17 of 46  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th March 2013, 03:39
Hi Aristo

11D was the one I had in mind..
18 of 46  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

6th March 2013, 03:50
Bingo. It's just the last letter I'm not sure I'm accounting for correctly. The definition works, and I really like "beat".
By the way, don't you ever sleep?
19 of 46  -   Report This Post

peterm

6th March 2013, 08:45
Looks good, Les. I'm going to make a start on it today. I'm curious though, ixion. I think my 11dn works well enough.
20 of 46  -   Report This Post