CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

livs

6th November 2012, 16:38
Ugh! Can't see any more. I give up. I never like crosswords where the answers are at one remove from the grid - I only got most of the ones I did get by looking at the hints here, and even so I don't see where some of them came from. I get Mrs T's point about wanting to know how many letters are in the answer to the clue, but even if they did that, you still wouldn't get any of the crossing letters, which is the whole point of a crossword, isn't it? Ones like this kinda suck all the joy out of it, for me.

Can we please just have a high quality, ordinary crossword next time, Guardian?
41 of 135  -   Report This Post

livs

6th November 2012, 16:45
in 9D I think the by=at around(hiding)

The one I can't parse is 15D lost=l?

Thanks Ixion, that was the best I could do for 9D but I feel by is only at in the North of England - am I right? I'm a soft Southerner, so it doesn't mean that to me at all. And I still feel 'hiding' is in the wrong place.

Yeah, I just assumed the 'l' was for lost - no idea why.

And I assumed it was the footballer rather than the fashion designer but why, from the clue? No idea except h(ot) + soup gives you posh + u but where does that leave you? Leaves me nowhere.

Oddly unsatisfying, this one. Wish I hadn't got up in the middle of the night to look at it now.
42 of 135  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th November 2012, 16:48
16A is a complex anag indicated by "grind it"
43 of 135  -   Report This Post

livs

6th November 2012, 16:55
Oh I see it - I was still trying to make a 5-letter answer. Not my cup of tea, this thing.

Did you agree about 10A?
44 of 135  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th November 2012, 17:00
Yes...left now with 5A[the only partner I can see is bleach, but it's hardly common]and 3D which is also a partner if my arithmetic is correct
45 of 135  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th November 2012, 17:06
My arithmetic was wrong...3D appears to be normal though very loosely defined?/dodgy homophone?
46 of 135  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

6th November 2012, 17:06
5a livs was correct with chartreuse and pie chart- remove the chart - leaves reuse
the phrase was reuse and recycle I think
47 of 135  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th November 2012, 17:14
Thanks S'lover...I had just got there on my own, 'onest injun...still unhappy with 3D, I have a guy with a colourful hat
48 of 135  -   Report This Post

daw

6th November 2012, 17:46
Ixion, 3d is problem-free. A + 29's leader up gives 'admirer' of Haile (homophone) S.
49 of 135  -   Report This Post

ixion

6th November 2012, 17:53
lol...thanks Daw, I was trying to find the homophone in the answer...an enjoyable Genius in the end after an unpromising start, still not convinced that 2D and 15D quite work though.
50 of 135  -   Report This Post