CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

29th July 2012, 15:04
Hiya Greedy kite,

I will send you a reply to your solution in a minute mate.
21 of 75  -   Report This Post

phillip

29th July 2012, 16:51
Les40, another nice collection. particularly liked 30ac, 8ac, 43ac and 4d. one little gripe (assuming I've not missed something.

46ac. why Plover in clue. shouldn't it be Bunting - you know, those cute little things drowned in brandy before being dinner for jeremy clarkson.
22 of 75  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th July 2012, 17:28
peterm, 49ac is brilliant!
23 of 75  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

29th July 2012, 17:47
You appear to be right, Phillip. No idea now how I hit on "plover". Apologies to all!
24 of 75  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th July 2012, 17:52
Loved the clue nevertheless- the fill-in-the-blank device and the D-briefing.
25 of 75  -   Report This Post

les40

29th July 2012, 17:58
Cheers Phillip, I never checked it, just took it as read that it was correct.

Also, I need to clarify another clue (I've just sent you an email about it GK).

The clue for 52 Across. I feel that both spellings of this answer are now to be accepted as correct.
On further inspection, I feel that because Syzzie used the word 'may' in his clue, it creates an air of ambiguity with the final answer word.
If it read as 'It is dull for Canuck.... Then it would qualify as a DEFINITE Definition of the word with an 'A' and the rest making up the wordplay, but because it reads 'It may be dull for Canuck..... Then that is where it makes both ends of the clue sound like the wordplay without a DEFINITE Point towards the true definitive part.

Sorry about that Syzzie, what do others think?
26 of 75  -   Report This Post

phillip

29th July 2012, 18:07
greedy kite, I hope you don't think I was knocking your clue, I wasn't. in fact I thought it was very clever.
27 of 75  -   Report This Post

jws

29th July 2012, 18:13
I'm quite happy with 52A. I'm stuck on the top right corner with 6a, 15A, 17A, 7D and 12D to go. I can see some words that will fit but struggle with the parsing. Similar comment applies to 49A. I'm sure I have the right answer but the penny is still to drop as to why. Some excellent clues.
28 of 75  -   Report This Post

les40

29th July 2012, 18:36
Check your email jws, i've thrown a hint your way
29 of 75  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

29th July 2012, 20:04
Thank you, Aristo & Phillip: this time round I was really stuck for decent clues, then I hit on the "D-briefing" bit & was quite happy again, I must admit!Pity I mucked it up with the misleading plover --- I swear I found it in one of the numerous ornithological books on the shelves here,but of course every source now testifies against me! (Was I dreaming?)
30 of 75  -   Report This Post